TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, January 25, 2007
17 years ago6,161 views

There is a message on the home page :
"New! Now you can also search for videos from YouTube."

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Youtube

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

And today it's Google Video's birthday!!!

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's official now:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/01/look-ahead-at-google-video-and-youtube.html
http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/annc/video_youtube.html

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Their Official blog post:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/01/look-ahead-at-google-video-and-youtube.html

A little headway to the direction of Google Video:

"Over time, Google Video will become even more comprehensive as it evolves into a service where you can search for the world's online video content, irrespective of where it may be hosted."

But we all already figured this was going to eventually happen... right?

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<But we all already figured this was going to eventually happen... right?>>
There are people don't.

BTW, the Advanced Search supports YouTube video as well.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

There is also new policies:
https://www.google.com/video/upload/Terms

HUmm... I don't know if it's new of not, there is no date :-S

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

When I first herd of Google Video, I thought it would search the web for videos, now that seems to be what it's turning in to. I think there should be a red (YouTube Style) Square next to YouTube results to show where the video has come from and an option to search Google Video only as you can search YouTube only by going to the site.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"This Google Video/ YouTube thing remains rather unique, and uniquely weird, among Google's services, as it's really one product – a video platform – split in two."

Oh, come on Philipp.

YouTube will continue to be an online video site with user-uploaded content.
Google Video will be a search engine that will include videos from YouTube, MySpace, Yahoo Video and many others.

I think they will be pretty different.

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

My bet is that Google Video will stop offering the upload options sometime in the future and redirect all the users to Youtube.

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"This Google Video/ YouTube thing remains rather unique, and uniquely weird, among Google's services, as it's really one product – a video platform – split in two."

Not really unique.Google has other split products with one focused as a destination/service/hosting, and the other focused on search. Think of Blogger and Google Blog Search. Think of Picasa and Google Image Search. Google Base and Froogle. Maybe even Google Print and Google Scholar.

I wish they had this type of hybrid product for Google Groups. Forums could use a dedicated search engine.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

There can be two brands under Google for video service. The best is to cut the team to be the market operating team and the tech team.

For Market operating, Google can have two teams, one is YouTube another is Google Video.

For Tech, Only one teams enough. Just like my garment factory, today make Fubu, tomorrow will make Rocawear.

Just like Google Answers, I think keep it better than kill it. Just keep everything and maintain everything. Big changes always bring big risks.

So two video brands for google not many. The market need more brands. Google may need to creat more brands for video service.

Best wishes for Google Video and YouTube.

17 years ago #

To make Google Video to be pure Video search engine have two risks.

1.The users will keep their custom at Youtube. The Video Search Engine can work but does not have enough works.
2.The users who like to upload the movie at Google Video will losted cause the Google Video closed the upload service. Where will them go? YouTube? No, they will go to another that similar with Google Video.

Just like fashion. different brand can have different price and different users. Google Video can act as a high end brand. YouTube as common. Or just let two team operate sepreatly. Not define them, just let them grow as the rules runing.

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think Google Video will create some kind of sign up program, for other online video start ups out there, to be included in the search.

Jake's View [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Googe > Google

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks Jake, I fixed the typo in the title!

17 years ago #

Ben Allen:
Yes, Google can be this only platform for the Video basic service. Not only for users, also for the business beginners.
We can have multi way to play the games for the Video.

How about Google become a Video brand Generator, it is more cooler than Website Name Generator.

Find a name at Website Name Generator, then register a brand account at Google Video, then begin your own YouTube.

How Cool it is.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!