Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Unified Storage

Evan H. [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, January 31, 2007
17 years ago2,432 views

There are now many different google services available. Each one has its own quota of space on the servers (picasa web albums gives you 250MB, Gmail gives you 2GB, Google Pages gives you 100MB, etc...). I was thinking that it would be more efficient to group them all together (each Google account gets 3GB or something) to be distributed as the user wishes between different services.

For example, I doubt that I'll ever use all 2GB of my Gmail space, but
I'm still having trouble deciding which photos to upload to Picasa web
albums. Under the new system, I would be able to transfer some of my
Gmail space to my Web albums.

My idea uses no extra space on the servers. It also allows people to
purchase extra space for services other than Picasa web albums (if
someone want to host some big files on their Google Pages site, for
example). This also paves the way for a Google FTP service or
something similar sometime in the future.

Hopefully my idea makes sense. Any feedback would be appreciated, and if someone knows how to get this idea to google, that would be great as well.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm sure Google have got this all under control.

The trouble is at the moment, there are lots of different teams, working on completely different projects. In the end, the so-called "GDrive" should tie-up all the loose ends, and provide a seamless user experience.

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I imagine that that would be less beneficial to Google. While I would never use up the full 100mb from Google Pages (their servers are way too slow), I could easily take advantage of every byte of memory I am allowed to use on Picasa. In other words, by splitting up the services, they can ensure that a widely used service has a cap. Unless you use all of their services, you will be using less memory this way than if there was unified GMemory.

Evan H. [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Eytan, I can see your point, however, an account still has that amount of memory allocated to it, even if not all of it is used. My suggestion would use more bandwidth, but no more hard drive space.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

GDrive. Don't hold yer breath....

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!