Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Another Round of G-Mail vs Gmail  (View post)

Google Tutor [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, January 31, 2007
17 years ago5,512 views

I think issues of trademarks become more difficult as products and servics increasingly go online. In the example above, it's a classic case of whether a trademark granted in Germany should also apply to services hosted elsewhere but accessed within Germany. If I wanted a gmail.com address, then I'll just sign up using www.gmail.com (possibly using US proxy or something).

[Signature removed. -Philipp]

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

so... "Google Mail" for all Europeans?

Baxter Tocher [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It's Google Mail in the UK, too, other than for those who opened their accounts early.

vicky fu [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Google Mail for all Europeans

[URL removed – Tony]

Bas [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

if gmail changes to google mail what happens to your address??

Will email sent to yourname[put at-character here]gmail.com be redirected or will nothing change except the name?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

to quote someone smart from Slashdot (http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/31/2116245&from=rss)

<<1) There are ongoing disputes still in court. This is not the end of the story

2) according to discussions on heise.de this guy has probably registered his trademark between the start of gmail.com and the time google wanted to register gmail.de, they DO own g-mail.de

3) the trademark actually is "G-Mail ... und die Post geht richtig ab!" whole slogan WITH hyphen.

4) German trademark law DOES provide ways to see if registering was in "bad faith", and that is not dealt with in the EU, but Germany. That could turn the whole story.

5) He DOES NOT provide service. What he announced is "ready next month" for like all the years since he registered the domain. Probably vaporware.

6) Registering a trademark s.o. else is using in another country and designing vaporware is what 4) is about: straight way to lose the tm.

Some people also told he sort of knew that gmail in the internet was "taken", but discussions did not provide promised sources and no one at heise.de jumped in.

All in all looks like david-goliath, but also symicron-explorer so stay tuned. But keep in mind actual deals of Mr. Giersch are tell tale by himself and not at all confirmed. He might just be some greedy jerk with a rip off scam in trademark law>>

Surly Teabag [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Bas, e-mail sent to yourname[put at-character here]gmail.com is delivered to yourname[put at-character here]googlemail.com (and vice versa). As far as I can tell, the effective difference is that your outgoing mail is addressed as coming from yourname[put at-character here]googlemail.com, and when you're using the Gmail interface, you see a Google Mail logo in place of the Gmail logo. Your Google ID is under googlemail.com too.

Great post, cia.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!