Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Why doesn't Gmail save e-mails in a cookie while you type them?

Brian Brian [PersonRank 2]

Saturday, June 4, 2005
19 years ago

Yeah, yeah, there is the "Save Draft" button, but I just lost an e-mail. You know, you get all wrapped up in writing and forget to save sometimes. The auto-save to cookie feature on Blogger saves me all the time when I need to make a recovery.

Kevin Fox [PersonRank 4]

19 years ago #

Brian, how did you lose your mail? If you navigate away without saving a draft, don't you get an alert asking if you really want to abandon your composition?

19 years ago #

I closed the browser. It could have happened in more ways than one. What if the power went out?

Kevin Fox [PersonRank 4]

19 years ago #

I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but if Gmail stored your partially-composed message in a cookie that persisted across browser sessions it would be a pretty big security hole. Anyone with access to your computer would be able to get at the contents of that cookie and read your partially-composed message. Maybe not a big deal if it's your home personal machine, but I could imagine that cookie existing pretty often on shard computers in schools, libraries, and cafes...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Maybe some sort of encrypted version... not sure if that's possible in any safe way.

19 years ago #

Yes, I can see how that could be a problem. What if the cookie was erased as soon as an e-mail was successfully sent or saved as a draft, in addition to Philipp's idea of being encrypted? That way it's only saved in a worst case scenario, and even then it can't be read.

19 years ago #

Google could also do away with the idea of a "save draft" button and stream messages back to the plex by default, only making them visible if the user didn't send a message or it meets some criteria that seem like they might have "lost" it. https is already being used so a third party reading them shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps there would be privacy concerns over this, so it would be an option in your user preferences ala:

__ Enable auto-recovery

I think this would be the perfect use for ajax.

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Gmail now does this! Thanks!

http://www.google.com/gmail/help/whatsnew.html#Justlaunched

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!