Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Wikipedia, a Growing Google Search Trend  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, February 6, 2007
17 years ago6,824 views

I usually add [wiki] or [info], but Wikipedia is in the top 10 results for a lot of one-word queries.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i usually put wikipedia at the begining of a query

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

yeah, lately you don't have to. it's included in too many of the top results pages. It's like it gets unfair preference.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

well the content is great too

Rob O [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

In spite of the fact that you can't rely on it as a sole source, I do find myself referring back to Wikipedia quite often, if only as a starting point to researching some new topic.

Ben Main [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I usually search Wikipedia from the Firefox search bar.

John Venom [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Googlepedia for Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2517/

Colin C [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I'm with Ben... With the roster of custom search engines available in the Firefox search bar, I'm Googling less & less. Movie searches go straight to IMDB, books & CD searches go straight to Amazon, Flickr, Youtube, LinkedIn, they've all allowed me to skip the Google query and go straight to the site most likely to have what I'm looking for.

mblair [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I guess I'm getting slow on the draw with the mouse – "I find that "wikipedia (term)" to be a lot faster than picking the wikipedia search bar out of firefox and the toggling it back to google when I am done.

That's what I did – until I found an even faster way :-)

Try hitting Ctrl-L, and then type "wp (term)" – boom! a nice quick wikipedia search from the address bar. The nice thing is you can set the quick searches up to use pretty much any kind of search engine pretty easily.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/smart-keywords.html

Rama [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I just always type en and my browser autofills the URL and then I edit it for my needs and just hit enter. Instead of putting thru Google.

David T [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

I have the wikipedia search extension installed into my browser (firefox) but I admit I just Google and add wikipedia... Funnily enough last week I actually googled "rss wikipedia", I figured it would have the richest the content and I wasn't disappointed.

xeen [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I prefer using keyword search and adding site:wikipedia (or similar, so it includes both German and English results) and going to the first page Google lists. This is faster compared to Wikipedias search plus it gives better results and automatically switches to English if no German article is available (or if I typed the English word).
Here's the URL (as I said, it uses google.de, so you might want to change that to your language. You need to change btnI=Auf+gut+Gl%C3%BCck%21 as well, it's the text of the "I'm feeling Lucky" button encoded, in German it's "Auf gut Glück" as you can see... or not see):
http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=site%3Awikipedia.org+%s&meta=lr%3Dlang_de&btnI=Auf+gut+Gl%C3%BCck%21

This works pretty well and if your keyword is something like w or wiki it's definitely faster than typing "wikipedia" to each query. Plus it won't give "wrong" results when you search for "xyz wikipedia" but page xyz.de has an article about wikipedia which has a higher ranking...
Anyway,
xeen

W [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I use Opera: in the address bar, I just type the letter w and then (separated by a space) the word I'm searching for. The serach will go directly to Wikipedia. Same works for Google if I start with the letter g.

anotherhandle [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I used to add wikipedia to the search phrase too but the Googlepedia extension for Firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2517/) took away the 'wikipedia' keystrokes and you get Google results and Wikipedia article side by side.

Josh [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I often use "<term> -wikipedia" in order to have search results NOT dominated by wikipedia (and answers.com, which copies content from wp). If I do want to find something in wp, i use the firefox extension.

FofR [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I have a Wiki quick search bookmark in firefox,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%s

With keyword wiki,

So typing "wiki google" loads this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google automatically.

Jake Wasdom [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Yeah, almost always I search a term normally first. If I don't see what I want, and Wikipedia isn't there, I stick "wiki" on the end. This works since wiki is in the URL.

Henning [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Finally, the I'm-feeling-wiki button starts to make sense. Oh wait, that button is labelled slightly different... ;-)

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

I use the same as mblair and others, Ctrl + L and then wp [search term] in the Firefox address bar.

You can easily do this with any search box using Firefox.

1. Right click in the search box you want e.g. IMDb.

2. Click 'Add a keyword to this search'

3. Enter a keyword e.g. imdb, then click OK.

4. Now you can search from the address bar by typing 'imdb [query]'

Once you've got the hang of it it makes search so much faster.

Tip: If you want to go to the main page of Wikipedia in Firefox just type 'wp' in the address bar.

nm van vliet [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I often add wiki to my queries to get wikipedia ranking high. I can also type in w in my address bar and append words to it to get to wikipedia but since the search engine of wikipedia is nog that good and the url mathcing too precise (capitals, spaces etc) I usually go for google. Hence, Firefox has the quick search set for Google even though there are others present. I also append imdb to get a film and amazon to get to books, it's fastest in my opinion.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!