Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Which of These Google Predictions Do You Believe Will Happen?  (View post)

Dan [PersonRank 0]

Friday, February 9, 2007
17 years ago4,499 views

4, 5, & 9 will definitely happen.

Oren Goldschmidt [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

I'm banking on 1 & 8 to happen first. 9 is probably the only one I'd actually like to see happen.

Jason Hall [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I think it would have taken a lot more than a redesign to put Google Video on par with YouTube. Google bought YouTube for its users and its name recognition, not its design (which could also use some work)

As for Google buying other large names, I'd add Feedburner to the list. Feedburner + Adsense = $$$

I'd love to see GCash come out, but even moreso if they call it GMoney :)

In short: 1,2,4,5,6,10

17 years ago #

I agree with you on the feedburner, but as far as google video goes, you could hardly say google didn't have a brand to capitalise on were they not to treat their video service as a labs product with a checkout line...

17 years ago #

Also, thanks for agreeing on #10; it's my favourite ;)

Namreg Reuab [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Mine too – 10 has to happen

Brock [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Yes & No:
1: Inline ads? Definitely. Pay? Not sure. YouTube has a very strong "we're all community" feel. I think Pay-for-Play will be G-Video only.
4: Gmail? No. But "business tools" , like Apps & Analytics will.
9: WikiMedia won't lock up. Defeats the purpose.

Possibly:
2: But PayPal cards never went anywhere...

No opinion: 3, 10

You are so wrong, dead wrong & stupid:
5 They bought YouTube for unfettered adsense integration; There's still the possibility of doing the same in online radio (Pandora?), books (an Amazon Reader competitor) and news (AP, Reuters); See how Google Video will do Video Search, treating YouTube as just one more source of content? Google News, Book Search and Music could do the same.
6: Craig won't sell.
7: If it comes out it will be a thickish-client like Google Earth; & very cool. If you can play WoW over crappy connections, G-Life will work too.
8: Recall their new motto: "Features, Not Products"; they have learned.

17 years ago #

They could have struck a similar deal to the one they struck with MySpace for YouTube if it was all about the ads. Fact of the matter is they needed to consolidate quickly with the market leader or otherwise MetaCafe, MySpaceVids, DailyMotion, et cetera would have pushed them into near anonymity in the streaming video scene. Buying YouTube will prove to be a mistake in the long run; First of all, the quick exit by the founders is going to shake investor confidence and secondly Google proved they couldn't break away from their classical mindset when approaching a new medium. Google Video was a shit product at launch and essentially remains one today – abandoning it so you can focus on video searching is a step down the ladder for Google.

Also; Craig would sell to Google, he already sold a large portion of the shares in the company once he realised he wouldn't be forced to change his business principles – if google would buy craigs and leave him with full control then they'd both gain.

As for your other points; It's not as if I think all of this will actually happen, the version I guest blogged for this site doesn't contain some of the "fluff" that exists on my own blog, if you read the original you'll see this is more of a thought experiment in prediction than an attempt at the psychic arts ;)

http://e-cclesiastes.blogspot.com/

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

(3. "third quarter of ’06" – did you mean '07?)

i think 4, 6, maby 5 and 9,
but never 10 i hope

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google will hire Philipp so that he can give them the ideas privately.

17 years ago #

To Stefan; Yes, '07 of course :) my bad...
To John; They shoulda hired him ages ago...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!