Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Valentine's Gifts: Logos, Comments, Buttons  (View post)

Mike Empuria [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, February 14, 2007
17 years ago5,104 views

"opening up Gmail registrations for practically everyone"

And don't I know it! Anyone else received an increase in spam from Gmail accounts recently?

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Eeek! Those buttons are huge! Really go well with the minimalistic design of the rest of the page. They shouldn't be wasting resources on pushing checkout on the web page. When people search, they are looking for prices and details, not how to buy the product. Instead, Google should get the merchants to push checkout on their own pages. Offering competitive rates to the merchants would be enough...and then they wouldn't have to desecrate their own pages.

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ouch, that´s significant. I didn´t believe that they would do it, this is propably the greatest push for any of its services which Google have ever made. So next step – Google Base, maybe in few weeks.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The logo is being slated heavily on Reddit... People wondering where the L has gone.

http://reddit.com/info/14hou/comments

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sorry just seen this is discussed loads here too:

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/86036.html

Jonathan Mak [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

The Friends reference about Chandler simply cracked me up...

Could Google BE more evil!?! (this is no good)

Shankar Ganesh [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

It's now open in India

Shankar Ganesh [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Just saw a SIGN UP link under the login box!
:-o

MJ Rich [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

I don't know who that really caters to, though. Is it really possible to not know anyone with a GMail account to send an invite?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

MJ, but it might make a difference for very casual users who simply didn't care enough so far to locate someone with a spare invite. Also, it's now even easier to use Gmail for throwaway email addresses.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<Also, it's now even easier to use Gmail for throwaway email addresses.>>

You could always invite yourself.

MJ Rich [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

But then the account is potentially linked to you?

Which makes me want to see a tree of who invited who of Gmail accounts. Like a phylogeny of sorts.

17 years ago #

> You could always invite yourself.

Yes, but as MJ said then your secondary email may be associated with your first. Not that it's very likely this is used or stored in any way, but there may be a digital trace between the two on Google's servers (A invited B).

17 years ago #

Yeah, well. Then use a temp mail address and send the invitation there.

http://www.google.com/search?q=temp+mail+address

17 years ago #

As I said: it's now even easier to use Gmail for throwaway email addresses. (Meaning: it was easy before. But it has gotten even easier.)

17 years ago #

I think it's a very bad idea to do that when there are a lot of sites that offer temporary mail addresses.

Trogdor [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Yes, I was amused today to find that Froogle / Google Base is no longer interested in my 40,000+ listings, due to the fact that my website does not let customers order online (we have a PDF fax order form).

In the *exact*same*email* they hint that if we don't have a method for letting our customers purchase online from our website, well gee ... Google Checkout just happens to be a great way to have that. Oh, boy!

Yes, it's embarassing how hard G is pimping this service.

17 years ago #

> I think it's a very bad idea to do that when
> there are a lot of sites that offer temporary mail addresses.

I agree, but casual users don't see the implications, and spammers don't have moral objections like us people :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!