Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Any users can now contribute to Google Translate

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, February 18, 2007
17 years ago6,623 views

Translate a website, roll over translated text, type in better translation.

http://gspy.blogspot.com/2007/02/help-improve-googles-translation.html

Help Google translate your own website!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't know if it's new, but it's cool ;-)
Anyway, I noted that if you submit somethig, it will be send to http://translate.google.com/translate_suggestion

Pierre S [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I really hope they relaunch translation soon. The Google way...

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Very nice! But where does this appear? Where do you roll over translated text?

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sorry. I see: only in BETA languages. But still nice, and interesting. Are Google gradually coming to believe in the wisdom of crowds, a la Wikipedia, or have they been developing some nifty techniques to tell the good human interventions from the bad?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

that is a good feature. i wonder how it'll be implemented. surely google won't give up there machine translation effort. because that is some good research!

INFORMANT [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

This is simply called annotation. It's as old as the linguistic approach to translation via machines. However, Google's heavy interest in SMT, a purely automated approach, would suggest that this is only an error/quality checking tool. If they were in fact to incorporate suggestions, then they would be using a linguistic approach that runs counter to their pure SMT initiatives as outlined by Norvig last fall in a public presentation.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Also have the bugs, that spam bulk suggestion can change the translate. If the suggestion not credited, risk.

For example, use many suggestion translate a english sentence "Oh my God" to chinese words as the meaning "I fuck you".

What will happened?

bd_ [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Doesn't seem to work with japanese-to-english...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Japanese/Korean<->English translations don't use Google's statistical algos.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!