Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Who Will Google Buy?  (View post)

Dan Neal [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, June 15, 2005
19 years ago

Would be amazing if they brought TiVo, I reckon this is the most likely.

after Intel and Apple of course ;)

Brian Brian [PersonRank 2]

19 years ago #

Who will buy Google?

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

I'm thinking Tivi, because it's right up their ally for content collection. Altough, I do like Super Google!

Mark Draughn [PersonRank 5]

19 years ago #

I'm hoping they buy Wikipedia. (Actually, I'm not sure that the Wikimedia Foundation is for sale, but...) I'd like to see some of Google's page ranking technology, or rather something analogous to it, used to handle some of Wikipedia's problems with vandalism and authority.

(I'm envisioning some system whereby people could act as authorities to certify the accuracy of articles. In keeping with the open nature of Wikipedia, each user could choose which authorities they choose to include in the ranking algorithm, and any user could act is an authority, but no one has to listen.)

I'm not sure what the answer is to Wikipedia's problems, but I think the folks at Google have a pretty good chance of solving these kinds of problems

This would probably fit well with Google Directory, Google News, Google Scholar, and Google Answers.

Mark Draughn [PersonRank 5]

19 years ago #

And, of course, it would be nice to get Wikipedia onto that screaming Google server farm.

Michael Fagan [PersonRank 3]

19 years ago #

I would *not* want to see Google own Wikimedia. It's free, open, and *independant.*

btw, short related discussion on my blog about google and navteq http://www.faganfinder.com/wp/2005/06/01/719/

d.durand [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

Why didn't you put Skype on the list? It would be an answer to Yahoo's acquisition of DialPad.

J Terpstra [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I'd say Skype too. In their bid to 'organize data' they're completely missing out on voice data now.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!