Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google's Security Statement (They're Armed!)  (View post)

Googlaxy [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, February 22, 2007
17 years ago4,963 views

The real problem it's when regular users still use their own name or someone from their family, their club or just the same password in different services around the web...

Nicolai [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

O RLY?
I would be quite surprised if they manage to have heavily-armed guards at their datacenters in many European countries, since many European countries tend to frown on heavily-armed private security forces.
If they are not armed with anything very dangerous, then it is deceptive to claim they are "armed guards". What are they going to use? Harsh language?

Hugues de Saint Salvy [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

"a cracker will attack the weakest link" – exactly.

And the weakest link is certainly not the Google data center. It's the connection to the data center and the user:

- SSL encryption: Google still doesn't use a secure connection to send your data to your browser, unless you force it yourself (by manually typing the "https : //" or using something like the CustomizeGoogle Firefox extension). Without a secure connection, data is flowing unencrypted between the data center and your browser and can be snooped upon by a hacker watching IP packets go by.

and most importantly:
- client-side encryption: someone with access to your computer, if you are logged into your Google account (this is increasingly the case) can view and download your files without the need to even know your password. This is also the case if you just used a shared computer in a public place and forgot to log yourself out. This is a serious security issue until Google can provide tools for users to protect sensitive files.
check this on the subject: http://lepetitradiateur.blogspot.com/2007/01/suggestion-increased-security-in.html

Sure, this is a fault on the part of the user, however Google does provide enhanced security for things like your Search History, so why not include this in Google Docs as well?

Thomas Fruetel [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Isn't it a violation of the GPL to use customized versions of GNU Linux libraries without publishing the source code under similar license terms?

George R [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I believe that the GPL does not require you to publish modifications you have made if you are not distributing anything.

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks for fixing the Ionut's hyperlink included to post ;-)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Thanks for fixing the Ionut's hyperlink included to post ;-)

Sorry, what do you mean...?

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They better hope that Yahoo doesn't have an EMP.

17 years ago #

Philipp:
Some hours ago Ionut's hyperlink pointed to the main page of blog.outer-court.com

17 years ago #

> Some hours ago Ionut's hyperlink pointed
> to the main page of blog.outer-court.com

Weird. Maybe I accidentally put this live while editing. Or Tony fixed this. Thanks for mentioning it! :)

17 years ago #

Everything okay! Thanks to Tony or Philipp ;-)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I didn't fix anything. I know what you mean though – the link to the PDF points to itself (so if you're on the home page, it will link to blog.outer-court.com whereas if you're on the post page, it links to that instead). I'll fix it now though... ;-)

[Edit: Fixed!]

17 years ago #

Ooops... thanks!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!