Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google China Auto-Suggests  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Friday, February 23, 2007
17 years ago7,933 views

Google.cn redirects to my local Google.

FWIK, Google Suggest will be an option in Google Preferences (soon).

Brad [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Yes, if you look at how Chinese language input works, it's all based on auto suggestions. If you type in "ni" in Chinese on your PC, it suggests you a list of 50 or so characters that have the pronunciation "ni". After choosing one, the software automatically suggests you the the next character based on the first character, for example "hao", ("ni hao" means hello). Chinese sentences are very standardized, which has to do with the strict pronunciations. There's hardly 2 ways for saying something, that's why auto suggestions make more sense in Chinese than in English.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Google.cn redirects to my local Google.

It always does this unless you select your preferred language to be Chinese. In Firefox 2, that's Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Languages: Choose... -> and then pick Chinese and move it to the top of the list, and enter www.google.cn again...

17 years ago #

I tried this:
http://www.google.com/intl/zh-CN/ (== google.cn or just a localized interface ?)
but Suggest is not enabled.

17 years ago #

That one is just a localized interface, as you say. Additionally, when you put Chinese as your preferred language, Google by default will show www.google.com itself in Chinese (via content negotiation, which is neat). One of the big differences is that this localized version, as opposed to Google.cn, is uncensored (from what you can tell...).

17 years ago #

It's working. I entered "guge" and it looks really nice.

17 years ago #

Google China was also a testbed for "Related searches". Maybe they're trying to figure it out if it's a good idea to make Google Suggest the default.

17 years ago #

Hmm, when I enter [ni] the top suggestion is "年终总结". So it's more than just Google Suggest, it's also a Pynyin -> Chinese character translator. (I wonder how well this works together when your keyboard is already set to Chinese auto-completion?)

17 years ago #

There's also Google Suggest for Japanese:
http://www.google.co.jp/webhp?complete=1&hl=ja

17 years ago #

An easier way to view the Chinese Google Suggest is to go here:
http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=zh-CN (no lang change required)

17 years ago #

Yes, or:
http://www.google.cn/webhp?hl=zh-CN

Luyi Chen [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

As you have already noticed, when you type Chinese in Google.cn, you will get two suggestions, one from the input method, the other from Google, so this is a bit mess. Some Chinese users are disappointed with this.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<Hmm, when I enter [ni] the top suggestion is "年终总结". So it's more than just Google Suggest...>>

No, I think it's just simply giving suggestions, "年终总结", translate into Pinyin is "Nian Zhong Zong Jie", which started with "Ni".

Derek Wong [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

For chinese, many two characters tend to link to one another...
so a single character rarely stands alone, and there aren't many double combination for a particular 1st character

so auto-completion really compliments simplified and traditional chinese, and would probably work well with kanji japanese as well

zousuper [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Because Google's department in china wants to have some breakthrough by urgent.It's just my opinion.

——www.zousuper.com

jiang [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Report too late

17 years ago #

> No, I think it's just simply giving suggestions,
> "年终总结", translate into Pinyin is "Nian Zhong Zong Jie",
> which started with "Ni".

Yeah, that's what I meant – it's more than just an English Google Suggest auto-completion of your first letter, it's also attempting to "translate" (or should I say "represent"?) Pinyin in Chinese characters. E.g. I entered "xiexie" (thanks) and the top result was "谢谢" which is a translation/ representation of the Pinyin, and translates back to "thank you" according to Google Translator.

> Report too late

When did this go live Jiang? (I don't mean Google Suggest for Chinese, but the auto-completion of default web search.)

17 years ago #

I can't find any (web) reference of Google Suggest for Chinese.

17 years ago #

A great collection of spam powered by Blogspot and offered you by Google Blog Search:
http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?hl=en&sourceid=gmail&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&tab=nb&scoring=d&q=Google+Suggest+Chinese+-translation&btnG=Search+Blogs

gas [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

What does google suggest for Tiananmen ?

17 years ago #

Gas, nothing it seems, but you can see for yourself at this URL:
http://www.google.cn/webhp?hl=zh-CN

Rui [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

it will give you some thing if you type: tian an men.
spaces between words.

gemme [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I was trying some names of political leaders but for some reason I didn't get any suggestions. I tried 胡锦涛 and 温家宝

If you type their names in pinyin, hu jin tao & wen jia bao it does suggest

Is that something on my side or did they leave these suggestions out. And if so, I wonder why.

Kevin S. [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Not only does this feature being made default for the Chinese market make sense given the nature of Chinese language input on a QWERTY keyboard, but also it makes sense given the Chinese taste for interactive online content, as opposed to plain old static webpages.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!