Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail slow / not responding

Christian Lund [PersonRank 2]

Thursday, March 1, 2007
17 years ago12,466 views

Gmail seems to be very unstable today. First my Gmail for Apps went down for more than 20 mins (and is still not up – server error please check back), then regular Gmail began failing.

Anybody else experiencing problems w. Gmail?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

no man..
everything is normal here.. (Israel) :/

Chris Martin [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Lots of problems in the last 12 hours.

17 years ago #

I still get this on my Apps Gmail account:

Server Error

We're sorry, but Gmail is temporarily unavailable. We're currently working to fix the problem – please try logging in to your account in a few minutes.

Also tried to upgrade Apps to premium, which seems to be going quite badly aswell.

Regular Gmail account is working now.

Mathias Schindler [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Gmail is acting strange since yesterday afternoon (CET).

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

they might be working on different servers..

17 years ago #

Still nothing from here – except error 766.

I certainly do not hope this is what I can expect of the promised 99.9% uptime I am paying for when my Premium account will be activated.

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Server Error

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Mine's been faultless (UK, gmail not apps).

Steve Rubel [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Gmail for apps is working for me, gmail.com isn't and has been shaky since last night. Now it's not working at all.

http://digg.com/software/Gmail_not_working_for_a_lot_of_users

17 years ago #

My Apps account has now been upgraded to premium, but still no success with the inbox (Gmail).

The premium account promises 99.9% uptime. Per year this only allows Gmail to be down for: 8.76 hours. My Gmail has been down for more than 2 hours now, that's 22% of the allowed downtime used for this year already. Considering we are only 16% into the year that doesn't look good.

Of course this depends on whether you define uptime as functional web application time or merely server running time. I am hoping for application time and a speedy recovery.

marisa [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It's been down all morning for me, and also for one of my coworkers. Fine for everybody else, though. At this point, it has been giving a "766 error" for almost four hours :(

Ricardo [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It's down for me as well since yesterday night. I'm in Brazil right now.

Michael Hardt [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Gmail is down for my wife and me (in New Hampshire) since last night. The posts on Google Groups indicate that this outage is affecting thousands of people--I'm surprised it hasn't hit the news.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Down for me too right now though it worked earlier. There were reports in my inbox from others who experiencd problems with Gmail as well...

<<Server Error

We're sorry, but Google Mail is temporarily unavailable. We're currently working to fix the problem – please try logging in to your account in a few minutes.>>

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Try:

https://mail.google.com
http://m.gmail.com

marisa [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

No luck with either mail.google.com or m.gmail.com

It seems not to matter how I try to access my mail – it's just unavailable.

This is particularly a shame as I've been an advocate for Google Apps for Your Domain at work (I'm in IT), and was supposed to be presenting something on it this morning. The snow storm here (upper midwest) caused the meeting to be cancelled – I hope gmail's back up by the time I need to present tomorrow!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I was on Gmail all the day, no problem for me, except it was longer to load than usual.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It has been working fine for me in the Central US.

TonyB

17 years ago #

I got this response from Google. It is the same response that Google is posting to several Groups that are reacting on this major break-down.

As stated before this seriously puts the 99.9% uptime into question, seeing that I am still only getting error 766 and 767.

Hello,

Thanks for your message. We're aware of this issue, and our engineers are
working diligently to find a solution. I apologize for any inconvenience
this issue may have caused.

Sincerely,

Sam
The Google Apps Team

Spencer [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Gmail is down for me but works for a friend I just called up – who works about 30 miles away. So somewhat of a haphazard issue.

Ricardo [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I just tried to connect to Gmail with my Palm and it also didn't work. I tried also to connect using different computers with Remote Desktop and nothing.

Funny thing is that my mom's account works. The only difference between them is that mine is in french and hers is in english.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

OK in SF.

Julie Yanklowitz [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

3/1/07 from Hawaii.

I noticed about 1am thru 3am-no Gmail, no google search. went to Yahoo search- same problem for hours. In desperation went to Windows Live search- it worked. Went back to bed and by 6:30am -everything A-ok. Honestly, I thought it was a massive hack attack, but now I wonder if I just had a nightmare.
=]. There has been no revealing news about it whatsoever.
(Full moon = 3/3/07. It was very bright outside.This could be the reason!)

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ok, i am at school at the moment, and...gmail and docs&spreadsheets... not responding

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

ok, maby it has to do with our ISA-server

tamnof [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

working terribly slow with a lot of disconnections and...oops messages (fro Israel)

k (uk) [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I am using gmail in the UK and i am unable to access it with Thunderbird or Google's mail app online...

(os: Windows XP MCE and SuSE Linux 10.2)

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No issues in SF here. Tho Valleywag reports that Yahoo Mail is down for the count recently...

"Yahoo Mail has been screwed up or down altogether since this weekend, causing "anguished cries" from the Bay Area according to one tipster. Apparently local nerds are being unfairly denied their Craigslist responses. Widepsread and ongoing problems – dating back weeks or months, as noted in some reports – are blamed on Java conflicts, the buggy beta version of Yahoo Mail, and rotten server farms. Also solar flares and malicious pixies."

Boston [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Gmail has slowed to an almost unworkable crawl, especially during business hours. Otherwise my internet connection seems okay (and other Gapps seem fine), so I _think_ this is more of a gmail problem than a global internet problem... We're in Boston.

Dan Ashley [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Gmail is slow here in Chicago today.

3/20/2007

- Dan

DC [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Gmail and Calendar have been real sluggish since last week... very disappointing...

Antony Clark [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

gmail is down in China. google etc is OK.

J [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

My personal gmail account has been down a few hours each day for awhile now, but my business account has been fine. I keep getting errors of "unavailable" as well as "error code 766". (midwest)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!