Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Censored Google China Book Search Launches  (View post)

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, March 3, 2007
17 years ago3,962 views

"Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful."

Didn't Google recently admit that they messed up in China? Why are they continuing with the censorship? I can't imagine what could possibly be in these books that can, under any semblance of rational thought, be considered dangerous. I'm starting to think that doing the dirty work for the bad guys makes you just as bad as them.

This is a really big boon for the Open Content Alliance. They are "Building a digital archive of global content for universal access." They recognize that human rights are fundamental, and don't change based on geographic location.

Most importantly, their book project is not a business model. Google is only in China because of financial projections, based on 1.3 billion chinese clicking on AdWords, that show them raking in the dough. What's a little censorship, anway? After all, the people being censored probably don't know it, so this isn't really harmful, right?

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

As long as Google also provides uncensored versions of their products in Chinese, I don't think Google's work is any less than the Open Content Alliance's.

Like with how Google has Google.cn and the international version of Google.com in Chinese.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!