Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Ex-Google Answers Researchers Launch Q&A Site  (View post)

Nico [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, March 6, 2007
17 years ago5,582 views

Nice, but why users must paid to have an answer (uclue.com) when it seems to be free (yahoo q/a)?

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Nico, it's our belief that (in general) a paid answers service not only produces better answers, but also attracts better questions.

Those who want "free" can still go to Yahoo Answers, or to sites such as One Link Answers
http://www.onelinkanswer.blogspot.com/

[I'm 'eiffel' at uclue.com]

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Did a little redesign sketch for Roger & Co at Uclue:
http://blogoscoped.com/temp/uclue.html

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

(Updated the post, as the answer arrived.)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Priced at $50.00 ?!

Raymond Brow [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

In the marketplace there is room for quantity & quality. The crew behind Uclue represents quality Q & A. We all know what you get for free.

17 years ago #

Ionut, when Philipp was a researcher at GA he learned just how long it can take to properly put together even a seemingly "obvious" answer.

Straightforward questions such as Philipp's will probably get answered whether priced at $50 or $5 (although a $50 answer will arrive sooner, and the researcher will be prepared to spend more time on refining the answer in an exchange of clarification requests, and will be prepared to go into much more detail if that is required as a result of followups).

A "hard" question (such as market research, or original historical research) needs to be priced from $50 upwards. At a lower price it's unlikely be answered, either at Uclue or elsewhere.

17 years ago #

We at Uclue love Philipp's site makeover, by the way. It's clean and fresh.

We developed the site by modifying a commercial software package (AskPert from w3matter.com) which generates old-school layouts based on tables with a generous sprinkling of deprecated font tags.

When we have updated the application to generate XHTML we will restyle the site using CSS.

Raymond Brow [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

As a Uclue user & not a researcher I like Philipp's makeover too!

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Great move! This is the true Web 2.0.
Since Lycos iQ, a German Question and Answer service degraded most users during an update, I look for an alternative myself, because I love answering questions and helping people after being online ten years as a power user. I just know more than others on certain topics. But working for free and then getting even the symbolic payment taken away is really disheartening.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Good news, I like GA, the GA back as Uclue. And updated to a new level. I hope it can have chinese site soon. I like to be a teamer of this site.

Zoo [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

This is like the best news ever. pinkfreud at GA is one of the top notch researcher you would ever find. This is an invaluable service and I am so delighted to know that this service is back.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!