Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Owning a piece of your social network

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, March 6, 2007
17 years ago2,422 views

<<Today’s hottest Internet businesses are all about the power of social networks. Companies like MySpace, Facebook, and YouTube have become worth billions because businesses have realized that these social networks are generating huge advertising and marketing opportunities. As these social networks grow, the economic potential for its owners – and the advertisers who target the site’s users – is remarkable.

At AGLOCO, we asked a simple question: The users created the community, where’s their share of the profit?>>

http://www.agloco.com/web/guest/howitworks

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

interesting concept at play here..

Value Proposition 1: You have Viewbar on screen, we pay you for it.
Value Proposition 2: You build the network, we pay you more.

heres the tool to calculate your own ROI :)-

http://www.agloco.com/web/guest/membercalculator

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The user's share of the profit is returned to them in the form of the use of a free service.

YouTube still pays more in bandwidth charges than it gets from advertising and marketing.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"returned to them in the form of the use of a free service."

what is the free service ??

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Search for agloco and look at the ads:
http://www.google.com/search?q=agloco

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> what is the free service ??

The service is whatever motivated you to join the network. This may differ for you, e.g. keeping track of contacts may be the free service offered to you. I'm not the best to describe the motivation to join these networks, I'm in 1 social network site where I actually maintain contacts and I'm pondering cancelling the site (it adds a redundant, sometimes harmful layer inbetween contacts & me... if anyone wants to know more I can elaborate :)).

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, please tell us more...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm subscribed to OpenBC (currently being rebranded as "Xing"). The trouble is:
- people send mails to me through that system. This means suddenly I have to use the OpenBC mailing system and can't use Gmail anymore. And I can't fully use the OpenBC mailing features because I'm not a premium user.
- the OpenBC network isn't mirroring my real network. People I added in OpenBC I may not have met for a long time, while people I talk to a lot don't use OpenBC.
- the biggest problem: people who want to start a contact ask to be added to OpenBC, which is yet another input channel I have to manage. Without OpenBC, people can already just email me to talk to me, there is no need for me to manage this input channel and decide on who I want to add/ reject.

I didn't find any real use for the system so far. The only thing I need is a simple contact list management with notes, e.g. what Gmail provides...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!