Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Great Firewall Of China: Test If You Are Blocked

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, March 6, 2007
17 years ago2,860 views

http://greatfirewallofchina.org/test/

My site, onreact.com is of course blocked!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Interesting. Mine is blocked too, although I didn't talk too much about China.

17 years ago #

Well, you support anti Chinese elements (Google Blogoscoped)! On my SEO site I didn't mention China, but I hosted a weblog on a subdomain that criticized China. Funnily for a while I was in the top 10 for seo service in Google.cn so maybe a Chinese competitor denounced me?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

blog.outer-court.com is not blocked, according to the site. But I don't have proof their site returns correct test results, and I don't simply trust such a site. For starters, China is a huge country and according to reports I've read, a site may be censored in one part of the country and not in another! (Not even including Hong Kong, which is a big exception in any case.)

17 years ago #

When I tried it was blocked. If you don't trust the site why should you trust any site? What makes a trustworthy site, a brand name?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No, a brand name on its own doesn't make something trustworthy. I think there's so many different levels on which you need to evaluate the trustworthiness of information.

- do you know the person behind the site?
- do you have the full name & adress of the person, did you possibly meet them?
- did this site send information which later on turned out to be correct, as verified by many other sources?
- is the site doing something complex that they may get wrong, inadvertently (e.g. is it a statistic, or the result of a computation)?
- do you see parts of the site which don't seem to "add up"?
- how much incentive is there to lie?
- how trustworthy does the domain look?
- did other people you trust refer you to the site, telling you it's trustworthy?
- do mainstream news report verify the site?
etc. etc.

I think you need to take all of these together and then decide on the level of trust you put into it. No single factor is sufficient. As for above site, like I said, I don't simply trust such a site. This is something very different from me *mistrusting* the site. I don't have any reason to mistrust it or trust it. The one objection, as mentioned, is that China is big, and from reports I read different locations in China may have something blocked, while others do not, hence there is no "single answer" as the site seems to claim (this would go into the "do you see parts of the site which don't seem to 'add up'?" category). The second objection is that this is something technically non-trivial that they may get wrong, inadvertently.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Philipp is right here..
though i think people tend to trust more on brands, because all of the above
(like : who is behind the website.. etc')

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

If it helps any, from where I was in Shanghai recently, Google Blogoscoped was most certainly not blocked, though Wikipedia and Google's cached pages most certainly were. Clicking on cached pages also seemed to block Google.com from the user completely for a short period of time. Google.com itself also went down a few times, though the outages weren't long. Annoying, but not crippling. My cousin in Shanghai reported the same experience.

17 years ago #

Sounds quite trustworthy to me:
http://greatfirewallofchina.org/colofon/

I knew for instance the Sanderg Institute http://www.sandberg.nl/ beforehand.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!