Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google to Index Works from German Library  (View post)

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, March 7, 2007
17 years ago3,422 views

How about let the readers joined this project?

After the readers borrowed the books, they can help the library to scan the books at home. I think everyone likes to remain his infection that will be helpful forever.

I like too. Who give me a chance? I just want a sign "scanned by Hong Xiaowan"

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philipp: That doesn't stop it from being available to them, anywhere that Google.com in Chinese (and I don't mean Google.cn) is accessible by Chinese users.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You're right Mysterius, as long as Google.com remains unblocked (it's sometimes blocked in China). I wonder if Google now even bothers to continue to roll-out translated versions for the Chinese Google.com version? http://www.google.com/intl/zh-CN/

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Interesting idea Xiaowan. A distributed scanning project. Everyone can contribute a dozen pages or so. But surely I wouldn't just give files to Google, it would need to be a shared project, where book pages can be accessed by Yahoo, Project Gutenberg, Archive.org and others. I don't think Google wants to share with all competitors though. And the overhead of the project might be too large – for instance, you need to verify book pages and so on...

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philipp: Well, books.google.com displayed a Chinese version of the site, with About pages, etc., if I selected either Chinese (Simplified), which is mainland China, or Chinese (Traditional), which is Taiwan. Both also appeared non-censored, of course. Other products that seem to be available include Docs and Spreadsheets, Code Search, and others. Interestingly, the Traditional (Mainland) site seems to have more products listed on the "More" page than the Simplified (Taiwan) site, which does make sense if Google is still concentrating on China.

Joshua Prowse [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I think that the way you are mischaracterizing Google's censorship in China is irresponsible. It is just factually untrue that Google Book Search is unavailable to Chinese users because they can access google.com right now. This mis-information furthers misplaced outrage at Google's collaboration with Chinese authorities because it makes the censorship seem worse than it is.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!