Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Desktop 5 Released  (View post)

mak [PersonRank 5]

Wednesday, March 7, 2007
17 years ago6,712 views

Are they trying to make it look more like Vista's built-in gadgets?! I mean the black brushed look.

toml [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

it's looks like. Ithink they try to do this. It' looks nice, it's transparent. Cool. PS. JennyPenny can you contact me on gtlechatgmial.com

toml [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

and they add new category to google gadgets a "Holiday", nice

David T [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

The desktop sidebar is much better! I like it very much, the image gadget is excellent, the weather gadget better and the notepad good. Overall I'm happy with the upgrade!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Two questions:
- Is is available only in English?
- Will it be updated automatically or have I to install it manually?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

OK, I have downloaded and installed Google Desktop v5 in French
It didn't remove cache files :)

So, I have Google Desktop 5.0.0702.07034-fr-pb

But I got NO ONE one the new functionalities that Philipp describes. No plusbox, no special things for the sidebar or gadgets... Strange

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tom, that's Google Desktop 4.5, even if you see 5.0 in the version number. The version number for Google Desktop 5 starts with 5.1.

So you should install the English version.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tom, I linked to the English Google Desktop version from my post hoping that this would fix the problem. Did you use that link or something else? Because I had the same problems you describe with the German version (it wasn't the update).

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Tom, that Google Desktop 4.5 even if you see 5.0 in the version number. The version number of Google Desktop 5 starts with 5.1."
It is exactly what I don't understand! Correct me if I'm wrong but usually, Software v5.0.XYZ means "Software 5", and not "Software 4.5"!
Stupid...

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Philipp, I started a seperate thread on this yesterday FYI, you may want to merge..

Justin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Has anyone had a problem with the Shift-Shift hotkey to bring gadgets to the front with this update? Since I installed this update, the hotkey only works when I turn it off (from the Gadgets dropdown menu on the taskbar) and then turn it on again. Even still, it only works until I bring another app into focus.

Jack [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Wow, great release. Every single time they release a new Google Desktop, there are some improvements and there is better design. And this in a FAST pace.... I love to see it continuing

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm surprised no one's mentioned that this version is installed using Google Updater, the same as what Google Pack is done with. This could be showing the next step in how Google distributes future desktop apps.

Elihu [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

You don't have to use Google Updater.
I got it here:

http://desktop.google.com/

Qbert [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Does installing (or upgrading) Google Desktop 5 over GD 4 cause a re-index of my computer? I don't want my timeline history of files and web history to be erased, and fear a re-index or other reorganization of its files could cause that.

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Qbert: no it doesn't cause re-indexing.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I was expecting to see some dramatic updates in GDS 5. Integration with Google Docs, Calendar, the desktop etc. But this version doesn't bring (almost) anything interesting.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I agree, Ionut. In fact, when I saw the blog post, I was wondering whether it was a bug in the RSS feed, because I thought it was referring to 4.5's updates.

I think Google Desktop would be a good leverage for including Google Talk. I know there's a widget available, but it could be an included feature.

Jesse [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I've got the same problem with shift+shift not working that Justin described. It works if I keep pressing shift enough times... but sometimes it takes more than ten presses... pretty annoying.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!