Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google launches "Website Navigation" service in China

Ken Wong [PersonRank 5]

Friday, March 9, 2007
17 years ago6,125 views

It is a website directory, just like hao123.com which was acquired by Baidu in 2004.

Just visit:

http://daohang.google.cn/

I've blogged about it here:

http://www.gseeker.com/50226711/eccaaaccea_64507.php

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is surely "Google Renbang" :-)

Ken, is it a kind of "DMOZ"?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

More like Alexa Top:
http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?cc=CN&ts_mode=country&lang=none

17 years ago #

I hope Google doesn't forget the rest of the world, with all this recent focus on China (and India).

17 years ago #

Quick question: why are there so many popular Chinese sites that have URLs like:
17173.com
4399.com
56.com
265.com ?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Quick question: why are there so many popular
> Chinese sites that have URLs like:
> 17173.com

Oliver (who gave a presentation on the differences between Western and Asian web http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-12-18-n86.html) said these numbers are simply fashionable in China. Sort of like it's fashionable for many US sites to omid the "e", like "flicker" becomes "flickr". In Germany, its fashionable to use a 24, like autoscout24.de...

Ken Wong [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]TOMHTML

Sort of, but the websites are ranked by Google algorithms automatically, not by editors.

[put at-character here]Ionut

Many people here love *numbers* :-]

They use them in the website URLs because they think numbers make people to remember their website easier.

Michael [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Numbers, in Chinese speaking world have special meanings, for example, 520, from what it's pronounced in Chinese, is well known as "I love you" in Mainland China (and probably Taiwan). There are many other examples like this, I think that's why websites in China prefer to use numbers in the URL.

17 years ago #

http://www.yellowbridge.com/language/pagercodes.html
Interesting.

Caoglish [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I think the web in the this google page is not collected automatically, just like Yahoo search Engine earlier.

therefore, the web is not interesting. I think it's like advertising of the website. the google web can not represent the google's soul which is simple and focus on the user.

Caoglish [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I can explain the FQA, but my English not really good. if any mistake, please don't mind.

About the Google Website Navigation (GWN in following)

1. what's the Google Website Navigation
2. Why use it?(advantage)
3. how it work?
4. how was the list of hot websites in More Webs made?
5. Could I recommend my website to join the Website Navigation? How to let my website from More Web to the list in homepage? How to raise the rank of my website.
6. How can I advise a new catalogue or send another feedback.
7. Could I personalize my Website navigation?
8. Which countris does the GWN support?

1. What's the Google Website Navigation
Google Website Navigation lists the websites which many users often browsed. It is easy for you to click the link and go to the hot website.

2. Why use it? (Advantage)
GWN let you more easily try to the service of surfing internet.

If you can not sure which website you want to browse, GWN have a lot of catalogue, the list of hot website. So you can pass the step of inputting the keywords.

If you think the list of website is not too many, you can click the catalogue beside [related search] to see result of Google-searched websites. At same time, under [More website], it supply [hot websites] to let you know which websites are most popular.

3. How it work?
All catalogues and contents are often searched by used in Google, and most often.

4. How was the list of hot websites in More Webs made?
It is made by PageRank Tech, which is same with Google Search.

5. Could I recommend my website to join the Website Navigation? How to let my website from More Web to the list in homepage? How to raise the rank of my website.

Of course you can, but it need to reference your web’s rank in Google’s index. You can read the article how to raise your web’s rank from ……

6. How can I advise a new catalogue or send another feedback.
You can send email to ….. . but maybe we wouldn’t reply your email, but we still read your email and reference it to improve our product in the future.

7. Could I personalize my Website navigation?
Not yet.
8.Which countries does the GWN support?
Now, just China, but more in the future.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks for the translation Caoglish!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!