Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Did You Mean Marijuana?  (View post)

Zoran [PersonRank 3]

Monday, March 12, 2007
17 years ago5,729 views

Hhahahha funny post Philip :-)

Once Larry Page explained when people type something then fix it it creates rule if mistake is common.

Well, I only suggested that some dictionary keywords should be banned from suggestions. If you try to bid on Google adWords for Marijuana well first of all they will not let you do it. if you bid for medicaments keywords they will ask from you pharmaceutic id or something like that. Its not rocket science and it is already done in Google...

Just a taught.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I wonder if I can sue google for showing (my fictional kid) results that lead right to drug's and their ad's ? (e.g via-gra ?)

Veky [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You can sue anybody for anything if you live in USA... at least it seems so to us in Europe most of the time.

But really... if you're such an irresponsible parent to leave your (fictional:) kid in front of the computer alone... how long do you think rhe will stay on Google anyway? ;-]

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Marijana is not a common noun in the US, marijuana is. So I guess the spell checker did its job well.

I don't think it's right to censor spell checkers (although Google does it: search for "fck you" http://www.google.com/search?q=fck+you), especially if the mistake is obvious. Firefox's dictionary also corrects "marijana" to "marijuana" and "fck" to "fuck".

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> I don't think it's right to censor spell
> checkers (although Google does it: search
> for "fck you" http://www.google.com/search?q=fck+you)

Could that be related to many people online spelling it e.g. "f*ck off"? I mean there's quite a few results for this query as is...

Fool Name [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Compare the following:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dick+cheny
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dik+cheney

Henning [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Remember that Marissa Mayer interview on "Elektrischer Reporter" (http://elektrischer-reporter.de/index.php/site/film/29/)? She said, the spellchecker is one of the AI projects Google is working on and that it's a learning system.

So I guess that Google just suggests marijuana because there are more people searching for drugs than for slavic names...

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

So now I know why Google is earning billions!

Fausto Odilon [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I think Google should to show spelling corrections only if an inexistent word was written. Maybe, in this dramatization "Marijana' was not found (what I do not believe). But, if it is wrong, I think that Google should to consider this in its planning.

Information is there, for everybody wondering. No one can be condemned simply to let an information avaiable. People are free to search and see whatever they want.

However, Google could to let in mind these facts and possibilities to improve its reliability.

Good bye.

Fau – faulog.blogspot.com

Charles Tutt [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I agree with most of the comments. Why should we censure words that just happen to be "close" to other words that you may wish to "shield" your children from. If the more common word is displayed by search engines or dictionaries, so be it! That's our world, our language, our life! Does anyone believe we should have an international committee pass judgement on everything anyone chooses to say or print?

Jeese! Think!

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hmm. I asked the spelling team about this and we do have localized spelling. I don't think we suggest this for RU or PL--Zoran, what language was the suggestion in?

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, some suggestion really like a joke. But some will bring too bad, no funny.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> I don't think we suggest this for RU or PL--Zoran, what
> language was the suggestion in?

I'll ask Zoran where he's from. I only reproduced this on Google.com, where I suppose there's no localized spelling then (or it's US-based).

Zoran [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

I am located in Serbia (Belgrade) but I searched on the "google.com" site English of course.

Zoran [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Just checked google.co.yu it does not show up Did you mean...

One more thing google.co.yu is in the frame and people cannot send links to search results. Isn't it a little bit user unfriendly.

Rob [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Perhaps you (parents) would prefer we lived in China so Google could censor what we see (or don't see)? As soon as we start censoring / banning words, ... we are not living in our free society anymore!

Maybe they're doing a school project on the harmful effects of marijuana? As someone else pointed out – there are far worse things the kids could get into on the web – and it's all about educating kids on what's right and wrong.

People who get upset about this are the same people that blame TV and movies for violence in society ... oh but hey ... that's a whole 'nother can a worms...

gas [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

"A year later, Peter is moving on to harder drugs and drops out of school, living a life in misery, and..."

...and was killed by the usual drunk driver.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!