Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Overall Number of Picasa Photos  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Monday, March 12, 2007
11 years ago2,791 views

I think those numbers are way off.

If I search for "the", I get 220,868,020 results from "my favorites". That's impossible.

Frank Taylor [PersonRank 1]

11 years ago #

Looks like a bug in the number of search results. You get different results as you page through the gallery of photos. Sometimes reaching 1.35 Billion.

I did a search on flowers and got a huge number, but as I paged through there were only about 6000 (and the number corrected itself at some point).

Jörg [PersonRank 1]

11 years ago #

Hi Phillip,

** you need to have your language settings set to "English-US" as well to see the results.

Cheers,

joerg.

Tim [PersonRank 0]

11 years ago #

This reminds me of the Robert Scoble "brrreeeport" test, around a year ago. Scoble made up this word, and asked bloggers to write this word on the blog.

Google consistently over-reported the number of occurrences of the word, at one point saying that there were over 250,000 web pages containing that word. And that was a mere week or two after Scoble made the word up, a mere week or two after Google showed zero web pages with the word.

See also this post:

scobleizer.com/2006/02/08/why- ...

In March, I asked a Googler about this, and his response was that it doesn't matter what the numbers are, since no one really looks at or uses those numbers anyway. My followup question was: why even bother showing the numbers, if they're both wrong, and unused. He did not have an answer.

zmarties [PersonRank 10]

11 years ago #

I blogged about this on the day that the search first appeared.

See:
zmarties.com/picasa/blog/2007/ ...

At that time, as the numbers were rapidly changing for many searches (as people elected to include their results), there seemed to be a threshold of around 20000 – below that the numbers were fairly accurate, but as the true number of results climbed above that, the reported number went crazy.

This thread is locked as it's old... but you can create a new thread in the forum. 

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!