Corner Bookmarks Changed

pri [PersonRank 5]

Thursday, March 15, 2007
17 years ago10,349 views

it seems Google is revising the links on the corner bookmarks. They used to be:
   Google gmail calendar photos docs groups more

and now they are:
   google images news maps gmail calendar docs more

so it seems they are trying to promote their homepage tabs on every Google service. But they have removed other similar settings (i.e. photos, groups) from the corner. I'm not sure what provoked this but its not the best choice IMHO.

a suggestion i have for them is the "more" link should be an overlay instead of opening another page. Something similar to the more link on the Google homepage. I wouldn't mind if that overlay had all the services in one long list.

pri [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

whoops forgot to give u a screenshot:

http://lh4.google.com/image/seematrix/RfipyHh3_tI/AAAAAAAAAFg/aiV6Oru0LqI/NewCornerBookmark.jpg

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have Google Gmail Calendar Photos Docs & Spreadsheets Reader my services »

Nothing was removed but Reader was just added

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have:
Google Gmail Calendar Photos Docs & Spreadsheets Checkout my services »

AJ [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

[Moved from "Google reader in links in gmail" – Tony]

Hello,

i think Reader may be leaving the labs. They already added a link to reader in the top corner of gmail page:

Google Gmail Calendar Photos Docs & Spreadsheets Reader my services »

Either that or they are starting to personalise the links with the services we use.

Is anybody else seeing this?

17 years ago #

Leaving labs without "search"? No way!

AJ [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Then why they are already linking it in gmail?

I didn't say it would leave beta, just labs – and this is only a thought

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I've still got:

Google Mail Calendar Photos Docs Groups my services »

I always use Reader and never use Picasa Web Albums, so if they are personalizing these links according to the services we use, it must be a restricted test – or a very poor alogrithm!

17 years ago #

I don't use Checkout, but Checkout replaced the Groups link (I use Google Groups).

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Is EVERYONE getting something different? Mine, like Tony's, haven't changed.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I get "Google Mail Calendar Photos Docs & Spreadsheets Reader my services »" but someone else told me he's now seeing "Checkout" as well...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[Moved from new thread]

------------------

Service menu changed ? (1 hour ago)

/pd

wen did they change the service menu on Gmail eh ??

"Google Gmail Calendar Docs Images News Maps more »"

What happened to Groups ??

------------------

Jon M

Mine has Reader on it, it goes:

" Google Gmail Calendar Photos Docs&Spreadsheets Reader my services>>"

... which is great! I have always wished they had the link to reader there.

Is Google customizing this list per our habits? or do you all have the same or different as mine?

Personally I'm not too sad by the loss of the groups link there, I never used it.

------------------

Rob Fuller

No, I use Reader all the time, but it's not on my menu. Also I've recently lost "Photos" (Picasa Web Albums) from the menu. But I do have News – something I never use.

------------------

/pd

I never use "news" I always use the "Groups" to get into my groups

So its not "customizing this list per our habits"!!

Ok what does other's have on their service menu ? care to share ??

------------------

Jon M

Ok, well it would be nice if they were customizing it. But since they're not, maybe they're just testing different arrangements of the links (given that there's clearly an assortment currently out there).

------------------

andy

I have "Checkout" in the list now

------------------

TOMHTML

"Docs & Spreadsheets" had been changed to "Docs" some days ago.

------------------

NateDawg

Google Gmail Calendar Photos Blogger Groups my services »

I wonder if it has to do with click through rates on your Google services page. I'm an infrequent blogger, but when I do I usually use the Google accounts page (or at least I did in the past) to automate the login. As for Google Groups, I do the same because I'm trying to check a thread that I posted on.

------------------

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I am seeing documents instead of docs & spreadsheet. Other than that no other change.

Ioannus de Verani [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

They are definitely not personalizing it as to the products I use. I use mainly Google Reader, Google Calendar, Google D&S and sometimes Notebook Picasaweb. They just took away some of the ones I do use, and added Google Image Search, Google Maps, etc., which are, on most days, completely useless to me. I want that thingummy where you can edit the links, like was seen on TechCrunch so long ago with the launch of Calendar....

pri [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

hi guys,

i just noticed that google changed my corner bookmarks AGAIN! they correlate to my usage pattern and items that i use have been added (i.e. Photos, Groups, Reader) and items I don't have been removed (i.e. News) Here's a screenshot below:

http://lh6.google.com/image/seematrix/RhZTrUreLUI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/KR3BPyUHnSM/NewCornerBookmark2.jpg

pri [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

this link might be better: http://picasaweb.google.com/seematrix/GoogleBlogoscoped/photo#5050316035893112130

17 years ago #

<<they correlate to my usage pattern and items that i use>>

I doubt it. They tested more lists of links and chose one of them. (Mine also changed to <<Google Gmail Calendar Documents Photos Groups Reader my services »>>.)

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't think they are changing it user specifically... they are keeping the most used services. Because I have the same thing as you people got in the links bar.

"Google Gmail Calendar Documents Photos Groups Reader my services »"

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Reader has definately only just been added for me within the past few days at the most. My links are the same as Inferno's.

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have the same too, anybody different?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!