Google Blogoscoped

Forum

When Someone Kidnaps Your Mail  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Friday, March 16, 2007
17 years ago5,193 views

1st Question.. what broswer is the victim using ??

Phishing site identification is pretty much native in FF .. so that negates risk for userland..

yeah you could send me the response to >pete[put at-character here]google.europe.com> :)-

speter [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

This is my worst nightmare and the reason I'm currently moving away from Gmail/Calendar to a hosted Exchange account. Should my passport there ever get compromised I can call them and fax them my passport to get my access back. IMO free mail providers (not just Gmail) aren't worth the risk.

SEO Practices [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Great information, thanks. I will be really careful with this from now on, I will also tell some friends to stop by your blog and read the article.

MarkZZ [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Just a note, Google owns https://wwwgoogle.com :) – Try going to it.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Very nice article :)
This is something I've been thinking about since months... Maybe it's time to do the backup now.. hehe!

adam [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It'll probably be an unpopular view, but I feel no sympathy for people that lose their accounts in this way. I consider it natural selection.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Even though this is not the end, I could have restored all my mails, if Yahoo had allowed free POP3 access like Gmail!"

My Yahoo account have free POP3 function.

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

17 years ago #

Well one simply has to remember that you can't get a full guarantee from a free service. Important emails ahs to be stored on a paid accounts. No sane people wuld use a free gmail for professional use for example...

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm with Hong – I thought Yahoo Mail had free POP3 access. (I'm pretty sure my girlfriend uses it...)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Only in the US ([put at-character here]yahoo.com), there's no POP in the free Yahoo Mail.

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]adam: Only in the same way that murder victims are part of a process of natural selection...

[put at-character here]Ionut Alex. Chitu: Really? Gee, that sucks. Why won't they open it to all? :(

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<Why won't they open it to all?>>

To have more people who pay $20 a year for Yahoo Mail Plus (that has almost the same feature as Gmail).

Fred [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]/pd:

Hi, am the victim. I was using FF2 on a Windows XP machine. Didnt get any warning though.

Below is the link which steals your yahoo credentials.

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE YOUR YAHOO ID AND PASSWORD IN THIS
SITE. I am providing this link just for your
information.

geocities.com/watchmewatchme/

Notice that this is a fake Yahoo flickr page. You can
also see the advertisement on the right window pane,
that usually appears when a free website is hosted in
geocities. When you press the sign-in button it links
to www2.fiberbit.net (Fake) and transmits your
password there.

[Link broken to avoid any accidental clicking – Tony]

Tim [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard any stories about gmail accounts being broken into?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tim ..read more here

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/03/gmail-hacked-when-someone-else-gains.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!