Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Dreamweaver Google Add-on  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Friday, March 16, 2007
17 years ago5,929 views

I prefer simple txt editor's.. visual tools are kinda nice to have..but.. thats my own preference....

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

back in the days I used Dreamweaver and it's HTML editor

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Visual tool bring many fat codes. Txt editor with Code reminder OK. Editplus.

Peekay [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I can't see coding large sites by hand anymore. I started back in the day using vi edit right on the server, then progressed to local files using a text Editor (such as BBEdit and HomeSite). I've used DW since about version 3. It has the best of both worlds – you can do most of the layout in WYSIWYG but turn to code view to tweak. Also, I find that it's very good at keeping code clean.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I love Dreamweaver's code view – syntax highlighting makes things so much easier to read.

Christopher Sisk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I personally can't stand visual html editors or the code they usually produce. Visual apps tend to keep people, who would other wise grow into great developers, behind a curtain of point and click with no concept of "why". Gimme a text editor any day.

Paul O'Flaherty [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Dreamweaver is excellent for both Visual development and those who prefer a plain text editor. Actually, upon installation one of the first things its asks you is whether you prefer to design visually or use code and sets up it's interface accordingly.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

If you remember the Code Tag in your brain, you will find it is wonderful for coding. Who said, I can fly? Visual Tool is a Plane, can not give you wings. Txt make you to be a bird that can fly. Anyone heard of "A bird prang"?

Matthew Claypotch [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I keep a copy of Programmer's Notepad on my usb stick. Its heavily customizable functionality and near stupid outward simplicity make it my go-to tool for coding.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Philipp, your real source from this news is here : http://code.google.com/ (at left, thanks to a specific RSS feed)

bernd [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I'd love to use TextMate, but it comes with a hidden price tag of a MacBook pro. So I now use the e editor, currently in beta.

Veky [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

For simple things, googlePages.
For professional stuff, Komodo Edit.

David T [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

I use dreamweaver and just have it permanently on split view, so I see the code and how it looks at the same time – very useful.

Sam Disegno [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Both.
For HTML pages, I code in dreamweaver's code view and switch back and forth between the design view / code view to see how the CSS formatting is happening.
For PERL / PHP I prefer the free notepad++.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I use UltraEdit – a powerful text editor – for everything – i.e. HTML, ASP, JavaScript, CSS, etc.

Many moons ago, I tried DreamWeaver (which was great for bloating your code) and FrontPage (which was simply dreadful) so that put me off WYSIWYG editors for life. If I want to see what my code's doing, I just preview it in the browser of my choice.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Did you remember that an official google blog was already talking about that? In last November:
http://googlemapsapi.blogspot.com/2006/11/webassist-dreamweaver-tools-for-google.html

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<I personally can't stand visual html editors or the code they usually produce. Visual apps tend to keep people, who would other wise grow into great developers, behind a curtain of point and click with no concept of "why". Gimme a text editor any day.>>

Right on...

Editplus for me for all web development. though I admit, I'm starting to become fond of Microsoft's WPF tools (please, don't throw rotten food items at me)

Lourenço [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I prefer txt editor with code reminder. i think it's 100x better because leaves your website code much more "clean". for learning the txt editor is also the best option.

Jim [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I like to edit with PSPad.

Josef Sábl [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

PSPad too. Visual tools are sort of outdated. Although I sometimes use Visual Studios designer mode to preview design and edit control properties quickly.

Yaooo [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I use dreamweaver, and I use mainly the code editor.

I make very little use of the visual tools. I mainly use them to locate part of codes or to quickly make little changes...

I also like notepad++, but what it lack is the ftp option...

Everytime I edit a webpage, I end with a ctrl+s and ctrl+shift+u nowaday...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!