Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google's Code Prettifier  (View post)

Adrian [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, March 22, 2007
12 years ago4,688 views

I still prefer dreamprojections.com/SyntaxHig ... but it is a nice prettifier in any case!

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

12 years ago #

I was actually looking for something like this last week.

I've always wondered why languages php, python, ruby, etc don't have a built in function (or module) that automatically highlights a string of it's own source code and outputs HTML.

Most websites that talk about a scripting language are written in that scripting language, and it'd probably be more efficient to have a compiled-in function do it instead of relying on client side javascript.

Tue Abrahamsen [PersonRank 7]

12 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ryan

PHP actually does. The highlight_file() and highlight_string() functions :)

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

12 years ago #

Tue, so it does. Thanks!

I don't like that it requires you to put the <? and ?> tags in anything you pass it though :'(

Is prettifier the wrong word though? Should they have used highlighter?

When I think of prettifying, I think of making sure all my = signs line up vertically, everything is nicely tabbed like in Python, all my brackets line up, etc.

Pamela Fox [PersonRank 2]

12 years ago #

I must say that I love the prettifier. I discovered it being used in the Maps documentation a month ago and immediately started using it anywhere I show code samples. It has worked for me for PHP, mySQL, and javascript, and only takes a few minutes to plug-in.
It makes my code feel pretty, oh so prettttty...

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

Good, simple and really can work well.

mob.dev [PersonRank 1]

12 years ago #

Just squeezed it through dojo's shrinksafe (alex.dojotoolkit.org/shrinksaf ...), a neat online javascript code obfuscator. The file size after obfuscation was 18 KB, much better than the original 44 KB...

-ukio

[Link fixed – Tony]

shane [PersonRank 0]

12 years ago #

Surely you are better off doing this 'offline' on the server and caching the markup. No sense in re-processing the code on the client end every single time when its just generating the same results over and over.

The only practical use I see for this is when writing code through the browser, eg something like 'writely' or when submitting code to a forum etc where the markup might need to be done before submission to the server.

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

12 years ago #

SubEthaEdit, which I use a lot, has a "Copy as XHTML" feature which copies the highlighted code and inserts the necessary HTML to make it look like it does in the editor.

This thread is locked as it's old... but you can create a new thread in the forum. 

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!