Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Secret Gmail delete keyboard shortcut

Pri [PersonRank 5]

Sunday, March 25, 2007
17 years ago3,537 views

Somehow, someone managed to find the keyboard shortcut to moving messages to trash: '#' (that's shift+3). I'm not sure why gmail team assigned the hash key as the one to moving messages to trash, and not something intuitive like T for trash or D for delete or W for waste.

http://lifehacker.com/software/gmail/secret-gmail-delete-keyboard-shortcut-246871.php

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This could be one of the few keyboard short cuts that I actually use! So far through Google services I only use J (next) & K (previous) in Google Reader, and I keep forgetting the archive short cut in GMail :-(

FYI: shift+3 doesn't always give you #, on a UK keyboard that gives you £.

Adam Dempsey [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

I've never really been a huge keybaord shortcut user, but lately I've started using them in Google Reader, j and k for next and previous and v for opening the original url, can be very time effiecient time savers!

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

doesnt work for me

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< doesnt work for me >>
i think it doesn't work because you need to enable keyboard shortcuts.

go to:
Settings,
Keyboard shortcuts ;
Keyboard shortcuts on

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

For me it's more intuitive than something like "T".

"Hash" rhymes with "trash". I won't forget that.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hmmmm...strange, why keep it a secret.

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Because they don't think we need to do much deleting in Gmail. True in my experience but then my inbox isn't by any means full. Still, I'm all for shortcuts.

PS thanks for the v nice icon, Philipp!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!