Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Youtube is dying...

mister scruff [PersonRank 3]

Sunday, April 1, 2007
17 years ago2,807 views

because of silly take down notices. for example, i wanted to post in a forum i frequent the video for "Paninaro" by the Pet Shop Boys. the original one. its an obscure 80s track, and i just wanted other forum members to know about it. and lo and behold – its not on youtube anymore.

another one that was on youtube was New Musik's "World of Water" – now its gone. again an obscure 80s track that i would not mind plugging on my myspace profile. now gone – so i cant plug it.

this is just getting so seriously silly that i think youtube will die off. if someone wants to create a pop music video archive in Russia, please do go ahead. its badly needed.

sidenote: there has to be a way to sort this out. rather than take down the video, why not just give ALL adsense revenue around that video to the copyright holder?

this copyright silliness is actually killing the idea that there is a pop music video archive out there ,that music heads like myself can dive into and promote on our myspace profiles.

surely something can be sorted out? its getting beyond the joke now.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Even though I personally can't STAND the site, YouTube isn't dying. Google aren't silly to let petty copyright lawsuits get in the way. They'll be sorted be several deals in the works, and YouTube will live on as long as the Web. Perhaps :)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Well they'll only be running independent of Google for around a year, right?

mister scruff [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

mambo -> errr. my point is that they ARE taking down stuff. its making the site very untrustworthy. if i post a video of an artist i like on my blog, i have no guarantee it'll be there next week – that never used to happen in the pre-google days.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm not sure how much it takes for a community to be slowly destroyed and wander off...

But what about "fair use"? Fair use looks at the actual commercial disadvantage the copyright holder gets from copying. So you ought to consider that about the only thing the copyright owner gets is free exposure. In the case where the track is so obscure you won't even be able to buy it, there doesn't even seem to be a chance of commercial disadvantage in cases like posting obscure pop tracks.

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Youtube in google video search brings a lot of errors up. What's going on with this?

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

YouTube very good. I like it. And, I think problems will be settled soon.
Google really faced the problems and I think if YouTube dead, the whole web world will stop.
Why somebody always likes to bit YouTube.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ben, do you have specific examples?

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It seems to be working now.

But, last night, whenever I clicked on a youtube result, a 500 hundred error came up. It gave me a link to file a complaint and a long string of things (hash or something..). The page told me to copy the hash over to the complaint. Complaining required registering at Youtube, so I didn't.

Probably should have taken a screenshot..

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!