Google Blogoscoped

Forum

gmail infinity storage + 1?

toml [PersonRank 6]

Monday, April 2, 2007
17 years ago5,996 views

Google Responds to Yahoo by Increasing Gmail Storage to Infinity Plus One
By Brian Briggs

Mountain View, CA – Google announced today that soon customers of their Gmail service will have their storage size increased to "infinity plus one." The announcement comes shortly after Yahoo's announcement that their Yahoo mail customers would be given unlimited storage.

Greg Tomkins, an engineer at Google, is credited with coming up with the "infinity plus one" idea. "I was out in the yard when my kids ran up to me yelling at each other. My son said to my daughter, 'I hate you to infinity.' She replied, 'I hate you to infinity plus one.' And right then I knew I had the solution to competing with unlimited storage," said Tomkins.

He continued saying that his son's idea about putting "dragons and Pokémon" on the Gmail pages didn't go over as well with management.

Tomkins also said that they would be using new RAID technologies which allow them to store copies of e-mail in parallel universes. This means that if their servers crash they will be able to recover your data from another universe where they haven't.

"Once your Yahoo e-mail box is full, you'll be able to transfer it to Gmail and add one more message," said Tomkins. "Those Yahoos will have a hard time beating that."
Related News

Top 11 Google Products We'll Never See

Google Acquires Gun Company Just to Screw with People's Heads

Irrational Building Number Causes Tragedy at Googleplex

When contacted about the Google announcement, a Yahoo representative said, "We will be making an announcement shortly about our million-trillion-billion infinity storage," and added, "Neener, neener, neener."

Not to be left out of the storage bonanza, a Hotmail representative said that while they "can't offer unlimited storage, they can delete all your e-mail at random intervals in conjunction with their Live OneCare service, to make sure you never run out of space."

VIA: http://www.bbspot.com/News/2007/04/google-gmail-infinity-plus-one-storage.html

[Duplicated content removed – Tony]

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

glad to hear that but is it real?

toml [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

it's from today so i think it's not april fools joke

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

this piece of news found in Google news search engine but only from one source. I dont find any from Yahoo news search engine.

http://www.newsiness.com/googleyahoonews/?p=gmail%20unlimited%20storage

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's not real, the site's about page declares that the news produced is fictional stories for amusement.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

infinity plus one = infinity

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ionut, maybe it is, maybe it isn't, who's gonna tell?

17 years ago #

Infinity is not a number. Infinity is the state of being greater than any real number.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

>> infinity plus one = infinity

Oh really? What about infinity plus two?

OK, I'm kidding. But seriously, nobody can introduce infinite storage. Not even Google. And companies that say "unlimited" always have some "fair use" disclaimer...

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

[quote=Ionut Alex. Chitu]
infinity plus one = infinity[/quote]

not if u are a kid.
they can go up to infinity plus infinity

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Infinity is not a number, infinity is a marketing concept :)
And Yahoo might actually have made something good out of it if they followed the rule of the web age: release, don't announce. Only Microsoft announces. Now, they split the "infinite storage" promotion hack into two boring events:
1) the announcement of something extra cool, but it's just an announcement so nobody knows if it will work, and there's no way to apply for it
2) the actual release of the product, but there will be no huge news because this was already announced months ago

Myself, I'd be fine with something like 500 GB. If you store an infinite amount of data, it will also take an infinite amount of time to find everything in it, right? :)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hasn't the infinity+1 thing been around since 2005?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<Hasn't the infinity+1 thing been around since 2005?>>

That's what I was thinking, 1st of April 2005 to be exact :-)

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

17 years ago #

Well i got a mail plus account with 2GB and I wasn't waiting for yahoo! o actually lock my account when reaching that storage limit... There are plenty of unused 1gb accounts so...
It's really no big news to me...and actually really dumb

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Mrrix32 everyone else has been mindwiped by Yahoo! [dun, dun DUN!]

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/images/infinity.gif

17 years ago #

... and the context of the image:
https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=mail&ltmpl=wyze

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Woww Tony and Ionut, U don't have a brain, you have an internal database! :-D

17 years ago #

<<U don't have a brain>>

Thank you very much!

Bas [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I guess it's not true, but I'd love some extra space :D

17 years ago #

So then, whats the point of this thread?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!