Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Hard-Hitting Ask.com Ad

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

Friday, April 6, 2007
17 years ago2,665 views

How's this for a potential come back........

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/4924/askdy4.gif

It's very dark.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

lol!No one uses ask.com. It's a pathetic attempt at a come back.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I saw a nice Ask ad on Slashdot.org a few days ago. It was the Ask logo plus a fully-functioning search box within the ad.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Rodger Brown
now thats a good idea

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They better improve products than focus too much on ads.

John Honeck [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't understand any of their campaigns, they seem to to want to convince people to use their search just because it's not Google. Why not build something that is better than Google and advertise that?

Google didn't become what it is today because it was cool, hip, or different it was better. It seems that the corporate sites suffer the same fate as millions of other copiers out there. They see Google making money and so they copy what they do!? All of the "others" are guilty of this, none have yet made a compelling argument that they have "improved" search or been innovative in any way, and I'm not talking about some new interface (like that live experiment thingy) but actual better ways of ranking sites and keeping out the crap.

Just like the thin affiliate or feed aggregator is never going to generate the amount of traffic that the real sites do, so is the same with search. If Yahoo, MSN, Ask, whoever make their product even just as good and on par with Google they will fail to gain market share. They need to exceed Google's performance to change peoples habbits. Give me a compelling reason to go there, and just because it's different isn't very compelling.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!