Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google + Maxthon ?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, April 10, 2007
17 years ago9,699 views

whats w/google investing in a browser company ?? Is this an indirect strategy to control the browser wars ??

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They just probably want to have a control over search box anywhere they can. Internet Explorer they cannot gain, Opera is paid by them and propably still not for sale, with Mozilla Google collaborate actively. So the last somewhat important is Maxthon. I dom´t think that they will promote it directly.

Conor Cleary [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

Their site isn't even working for me.
The Google cache is from April 4th and doesn't work great.
I don't find Maxthon anything great anyways...

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Maxthon is not as good as firefox or opera... but if grows under the shade of Google who knows tomorrow you might just see the ultimate browser...

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I thought Firefox was being heavily influenced by Google already. I get the impression that the Maxthon deal is more to increase exposure in China, as well as perhaps an advertising opportunity.

TonyB

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Mozilla is already in collabrative with Google but now if its Maxton then

actually maxton is not a web browser like firefox internet explorer and opera it just uses the internet explorer platform with included features and add-ons...

Although maxthon is famous, google slipped the don't be evil motto ,

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<google slipped the don't be evil motto>>

Reasons?

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<reasons>>

Google indirectly invading browsers to make google as default search engine... there is nothing wrong in it but still it wants to invade their rival browser internet explorer. since its not possible and since maxthon uses internet explorer they can convert some of IE users indirectly

17 years ago #

I hate the whole default thing. I understand that some people need to make money from their free browsers and web search is a good opportunity, but if they choose the search engine Y as the default, they should make it easy to change it.

Opera Mini 3 has Yahoo as the default search and that can't be changed (or I am too stupid to change it).

In Firefox and Opera (desktop version), it's easy to add search engines and to change the default, so nobody is forced to use the default (Google).

To conclude, I wouldn't make any default-search deal unless I knew the browser makes it easy to change the default search engine.

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, the new version of Opera Mini infuriates me for the same reason.

17 years ago #

Here's a thread from Opera Mini blog:
http://my.opera.com/operamini/blog/show.dml/672698

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks Ionut. They're pretty crazy to ignore all those people saying they at least want a choice . . . The (annoying) workaround I use is to have Google IG as my top bookmark and automatically just to click on that before I search for anything.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's a bit ironic isn't it?
A company based on commercials invests money on a browser which blocks commercials? :P

and I still don't get it. Why Google invests in an IE browser?

17 years ago #

Maxthon blocks image ads.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here] David,

Maxthon supposedly originates about 25% of all Baidu traffic. Half of Maxthon's users are said to be in China. I think it is a play for more exposure by Google in China.

If only image ads are blocked, I assume that means Google's AdWords work fine.

TonyB

17 years ago #

So it's more of publicity ? (sorta)

17 years ago #

Apparently, the rumor was just a rumor.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftech.sina.com.cn%2Fi%2F2007-04-10%2F17481458287.shtml

Conor Cleary [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

the thing is tho, the average granny just wants results and will use whatever says Search so if said browser says Google or Yahoo it only makes a difference to the company.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Goog point, Conor.

TonyB

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Techcrunch posted something about this today.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/04/10/google-takes-partial-ownership-of-maxthon-browser/

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< the average granny just wants results and will use whatever says Search so if said browser says Google or Yahoo it only makes a difference to the company. >>

Furthermore, even an above average granny (like my mother) will use the default search engine or search box on the browser's home page rather than the browser's address bar. And sometimes the ISPs also enforce this by taking the browser's address bar away!

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is probably a good strategy for Google. If they can eat away at Baidu's market share in China then go for it. By becoming the default search engine in the browser this should allow them to get more traffic to goole.cn.

17 years ago #

<< You pride (Maxthon) browser founder Chen says Sina Tech this afternoon to deny the Google shares rumors. He said the matter is purely rumor. >>

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ionut, I actually posted back the link (you provided) onto TechCrunch.. its still appears to be in mod status. Wondering if Mike A will have a response...

I did some cross refering and any investment like this Google has to give a press release and update its shareholders.. its a governed SEC publically tradeded company.. So I think Ionut's pointer is smack on ...!!

17 years ago #

Ionut,
I don't think it's a rumor.
Israeli papers say the invested 1 million dollars in Maxthon.
I really don't think fabricated..
Google has lost the China battle but still searching for winning the entire war.

17 years ago #

"Jacobsson told “Globes”, “It’s true that we entered into a strategic deal with Google a few months ago, which includes all kinds of search activity, and adapting the browser for Google services. Until now, certain services were not adapted, such as the Google toolbar. We intend to cooperate, and build interesting integrations that will be transferable through the browser.”"

http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/globes/DocView.asp?did=1000200260&fid=1725

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

actually Mike A entry reads as "Multiple sources are confirming [...]"..

yet no link on his post to one source link , so the only source is Mike A right now , with others following in the same echo chamber.. a classic signal vs noise syndrome in the making..

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't think Google bought Maxthon outright. If the rumors are true, they are a minority shareholder, though I suppose they would be the majority-minority shareholder. ;)

TonyB

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

To Conor:
The Web site of Maxthon
http://www.maxthon.com/
is working fine now...

This browser was aka MyIE2 earlier.

17 years ago #

[put at-character here] TonyB

I agree :)

gas [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Google wants part of maxthon so thay can flush Trident down the toilet and leave IE in his MS non compliant world alone.

Otis Gospodnetic [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

For what is worth, here are some numbers from Simpy[1]:

MSIE: 500035
Firefox: 198875
Maxthon: 3306

[1] http://www.simpy.com/

NOTE: Simpy *does* have a Chinese (Simplified) UI, so it is favoured by Chinese social bookmarkers, as far as I know. Still, those Maxthon numbers are quite slim.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I hate Maxthon, because with its nice interface it's promoting old, non-standard compliant, and unsafe browser's engine (that is IE). I hope Google will still promote Firefox.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!