Wednesday, April 11, 2007
17 years ago9,722 views

“Tagging outbound messages"

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Have Gmail do my laundry"

Tue Abrahamsen [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

A lot of great stuff in there – it was hard to only select five :)

*crosses fingers for IMAP-access*

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

" Have Gmail do my laundry "
ya see, thats why i love Google :)

ropib [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

It is possible to transform labels into folders. If you tag (tag A) the tag B, every message tagged B will have the tag A. So you are able to show a folder B in a folder A. I think tags are very useful but so are folders.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

have a flag so that I can tweak gmail to be my "evil" other half and auto respond (in an evil way) to folks that I don't want to talk too or email back... :)-

Henrik [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

my wish: multi-color stars, you can define different colors for staring, e.g. yellow, green and red. When you click on the star, the star will change the color and you can change the color by clicking one or more time on the star (on the first click the star gets yellow, on the second green and so on). so you can set different priorities with your stars :)

Steffen [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I'd love to have my laundry done by Gmail.

Ervin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Contacts: Google Persons Direcory – if I change any of my data, my contact information is automatically updated for my friends. Maybe an Orkut integration?

Mailing list management: RFC2369 and RFC2919

Fritz Harasin [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

While we are at it: Let me set a filter to move some messages automatically to spam (ie those that already go through my company spamfilter. And clean up the ui – to many links, buttons, pulldownmenus, boxes ... it could look so much cleaner, googlisher ...

TheRaveN 2.0 [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Add hidden text for Bcc eyes only.

TheRaveN 2.0

Ervin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Fritz, I think you should use the "Spam" and "Not Spam" buttons to train GMail so others can profit from your efforts, too.

Evgeny [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Let GMAIL import messages from old message boxes – AND KEEP THE DATE UNTOUCHED!

Doesn't matter the format ... could be outlook's pst, or an mbox, or whatever. But some way to place the Archive into gmail for easy searching and referencing. I have my first mail, from 1994 ... and not being able to search them online has troubled me for many years.

Fritz Harasin [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here] ervin. i am. i am. now i filter to a special label, then open the label, mark all, report spam. this is work. and i do it at best every other day. if i could filter directly to spam, then the info would be a googles spamfilters much faster (instantaneous), and everybody could profit from my companies spamfilter.

jim's tips [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Here are my choices. I've lobbied for most of these in the past, and I really think that these would vastly improve Gmail's usefulness.

-Drag-and-drop images
-Hierarchy of Label system (i.e. sub-Labels)
-Sort messages by size, date, sender, etc.
-To-do list
-Read Receipts

jim's tips [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Re: Labels vs Folders, this has been hotly debated, and both sides have some merit, but I personally feel that Labels are far more powerful. The problem with Labels is in two key areas:

1. Lack of hierarchical Labels
This is on their list of choices, so maybe we'll eventually see it?

2. Lack of an "Unlabeled" search function
Labeling only works if you use them, and if you have thousands of messages (I currently have over 5000) finding the stray unlabeled messages is doable, but very tedious. How difficult would it be gor Gmail to simply provide an "Unlabeled" view?

hniu [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

- Apply labels to contacts as well as to emails (or maybe having a different label set for contacts)

- Right click functionality

Hakan Tuncel [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Evgeny said: << Let GMAIL import messages from old message boxes – AND KEEP THE DATE UNTOUCHED! >> I second that; I still have to keep Outlook for pre-gmail mail.

Jon Henshaw [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

I'm with Tue Abrahamsen. If they would just add IMAP support, they might win my heart back.

Seanie Bynre (Ireland) [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

1. ***Viewing gallery for all attachments***
(well thumbnails of the attachment)and that these albums could be viewed in much the same way as messages, using labels, But dissplaying them as a n Image gallery.
Lots of attachments are Images or movie clips and it would be fun to look back at a preview of all these images.

1.***Thumbnail preview of an attachment***
Maybe a small thumbnail that shows when you hover over the attachment icon, much like the Google talk image if you hover over their email address.

ropib [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

* Sort messages
* Upload images to webPicasa from GMail like docs to docs&spreadsheets
* Macros (not only filters)
* Import hotmail mails
* A real adress book (using hcard?), not only contacts, and an adress book widget
* Hierarchical labels
* Drags & drops (to include content, to add a contact to a mail)
* Upload or join an extern file into the mail (from an url or browsing webPicasa or docs&spreadsheets)
* Send a paper mail
* Fax (i don't know how but i don't care)

joe [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

much tighter integration with Calendar. Like, being able to seamlessly switch between Gmail and Calendar within the same interface and easy access to main calendar actions from Gmail and vice versa. Embedded or popup mini-calendars inside gmail. attaching or associating gmail messages with calendar events. etc

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

* A full-featured contacts system (including integration with Maps, option to synch with contacts' contact details, and a contact visualiser)
* Tighter integration between labels and filters; a more interactive filter interface
* Integration with Reader
* Ability to open emails (or whatever) in tabs
* Names shown in conversation view to correspond to the nickname you've given the person in the contacts database, rather than being merely their first name as at present (so that you'd get for instance "Tom P, me, Tom P" and "Tom R, me, Tom R" rather than "Tom, Tom, Tom")
* Some other stuff I've forgotten

Deathbob [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

IMAP would be sweet.

Davin Peterson [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

How about the ability to create folders to organize your email. You can do that in Hotmail and Yahoo! Mail.

Chuy [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Just don't replace labels with folders. I usually put more than one label on an email. I couldn't see having a email in more than one folder. Adding folders OK. Replacing labels = EVIL!

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"SMS notifications for incoming messages."

the twitter way is to bad.

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yahoo Mail tabs to open more "windows".

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Garett Rogers has an original take on this:
<<One of the more interesting ones for me is the "Export messages to CD for storage" feature. That sounds an awful lot like what Gmail Paper offered on April fools day, doesn't it?>>

Paper, CD, whatever...

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=534

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I agree with Chuy: "Replacing labels = EVIL!" (They won't.)

Netmeg [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I would like the ability to pause the "get mail from other accounts" feature, so that I could grab the email when I need it, and not have it all sent when I don't. Right now we have to delete the account and put it back in (like when I'm away from my email program for a day or whatever)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

No please don't change Labels to Folders. Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaseeeeeeeeee

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'd love to see integration with Reader and Groups. Why do I have to open separate application when all (received mails, new messages from RSSs and new messages from groups that I'm subscribed to) are just new messages. I would love to see "Groups (13)" or "Feeds (30)" in Gmail's menu and be able to just click it and read new messages from within Gmail.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

From what I've read here, maybe they should also be allowing users to pick the features they don't want to see too...

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

How about "make labels act like folders but still be labels?"
Seriously, if they add hierarchical labels then EVERYONE wins. Throw in drag-and-drop to ease confusion. They can tweak their help to read "Now folders and labels are EXACTLY the same thing (but better)". Otherwise, I stand with the majority – keep labels.

BETTER FILTERING RULES! ARGH!
Allow for filtering on contact Groups. For any contact I ADD to that contact group, mail to/from them is automatically subject to a filter. Any contact I REMOVE from that contact group, the effects of the filter can be OPTIONALLY reversed. This would make friends lists, family lists, etc. MUCH easier than it is now (constantly tweaking filters).

Finally, I suggested a safe mode for working with messages marked spam or phishing. Remove the "More Actions..." list, the quick-reply box, "Reply" and "Add to Contacts" from the interface. Also, external images and automatic link highlighting shouldn't work AT ALL. Finally, HTML/XML anchor tags (&lt;a&gt;) shouldn't be clickable. They'd be displayed as link text followed by the URL. Users must copy and paste to follow them.

J. McNair [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Darn, forgot that I don't have to use escaped HTML entities

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

If gmail can did dinner for me...

BTW, please check suggestion page in chinese, only 10 items. Did Google think Chinese lazy. Or Google did a lazy work?

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> BTW, please check suggestion page in chinese, only 10 items.

That's just previous version of this page. Other language version haven't been updated yet.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oh, I think should be updated at the meantime. Where are the complete page. Is this a "MODE ERROR"?

ropib [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I like to have different applications to see my mails, my news or anything else. That are some messages, but everything is a message for an animal and i don't want to have everything in GMail.

Andy K [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I would love to sort the Spam messages according to their "Spam Score". I'm not sure of the official term, but most spam filters assign a number to each message, with a higher number indicating that the message is more likely to be spam. And presumably there is some predefined threshold, above which, the message is declared to be Spam and sent to the Spam folder. I would like to sort my Spam folder so that I can see the messages that just barely passed the threshold in the Spam category. Presumably these would be the mostly likely to be false positives.
I get a huge amount of spam and I have occasionally found false positives – a message that was labeled spam, but should not have been. But with 9000 messages in my spam folder, it is getting more difficult to scan through all of the headers to look for false positives.

Eric Cranston [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Nate

None of the ideas on the suggestions page are mind blowing at all. I would say 90% of people that have used email for the last 3+ years could come up with most of them if they sat down and thought about it for 5-20 minutes.

Though that Litepost thing looks pretty cool, "Streamline your conversations. Respond to multiple messages simultaneously with patented "mail merge" and autosorting technology."

But looks can be deceiving, if Litepost does what it claims awesome. But you're right, it's hard to compete with Google in email, but you knew that when you started development on Litepost (unless the project is that old). However if Litepost does what it claims, I can see it having a nice niche market.

Point being, they didn't steal your ideas, stop whining.

v1ncent [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

- Possibility to change ID!!

hniu [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Agree: "Replacing labels = EVIL!"

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

In a company statement Google said "Folders are by EViL Companies, Yahoo, Micro$hit etc. We wanted to redesign the whole thing, bring in a fourth dimension, you know 4D folders" It seems Google and Sony have both developed the 4th dimension, implementing it on both the PS3(which sucks) and Gmail(which rocks). Perhaps the PlayStationG will do better.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Disclaimer:

The above statement is entirely a piss-take and does not represent real Google or Sony views. Any similarities to real life incidents are entirely coincidentel.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

(I removed Nate's post by his request.)

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Feature request... currently none...
But would like Google to fix a problem. When you delete a sent item and recover it from the trash it shows up in the inbox.

Google is still showing number of invites (50) why? I though it was already open to all. Though instead of removing the invite feature they could make it "Tell a friend"

Mattbee [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

*folders!
*integration with reader/calendar

anil [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Folders in gmail...desperate need

R. Richard Hobbs [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

auto-labeling

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!