Google Blogoscoped

Forum

g.ho.st ?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, April 12, 2007
17 years ago4,286 views

has anyone used this service ?? whats your take away ?? I am little skeptical for the time being..

http://g.ho.st/home/

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It seems as the best webtop so far.

Conor Cleary [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

yah i likes it

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It looks pretty cool...but I will stick with using Real VNC to access my linux box at home.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This only looks like operating system, but doesn't have anything but hard to use web-browser (or rather frame in which we can display pages using our existing browser) and RSS gadget.

I think that making new web-based "operating system" is not the way to go. The really neat think would be web-frontend for the existing operating system, so we could use (in our browser) a real thing, with real software and with years of development behind it.

So... meet the Ulteo Project – www.ulteo.com

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ludwik, i think you are right. nice to store files online, use tools like d&s, but not the whole system.

to g.ho.st:
Flash...
Nice registration-process, but very slow. i was not able to type an @

service very slow. maybe i will continue testing later

Claire Gee [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It looks very promising, although it seems they are still developing the product, probably the best hosted operating system out there so far ...however i hope the new release is more useful.

Adel Hazboun [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Hey, this was just a Proof-Of-Concept four days ago, and now an Alpha launched in Web2.0Expo San Francisco. There are a lot to develop and actually we are getting somehow close to what G.ho.st should start to look like.

But for those who are not familiar with the term "Virtual Operating System", let me start by explaining why this service is called an "Operating System".

Local Operating Systems manage locally installed applications, their files, as well as low level machine drivers. G.ho.st is actually meant to do that for Web2.0 applications (expect for the low level drivers management of course!).

Assuming someone has Windows and right-clicks on the desktop, create new Microsoft Word document, and double clicks on it. The Operating System launches MS Word and opens the document in this application. Well that's good, but the bad news is that this document is only available where MS Word is on the local machine.

G.ho.st allows it's users to do that using Google Docs & Sheets :). The service is free, easy to use and available all over the world.

It's not only that, the concept includes even more web items, like Flickr Photos, youTube videos, Yahoo shopping items, amazon books, etc. G.ho.st will provide single sing-in to these services as well as single virtual file system to collect all a Google Doc along side a Flickr photo with you tube video.

We hope that G.ho.st we reach a Beta level in summer integrating and aggregating World best Web2.0 applications.

AH

why? [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

hmmmm damn and stuped idia, why should i use a double of desktop`s bihind a real os? whats wrong with you ppl??? you allready have a free browser to discover a web, why should i need a "nice" GUI flash MENU?
i dint find nothing bihind a nice flash work, so its just a MENU for damb users who`s cant type a single world in a google serch line.
hahahahaah, safe your money AH, buy some new laptops for palistinian kids and teach them a real things, the real education not a terror.

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Why – I believe the point is that somewhere down the line they will be adding more features which are generally not available as browser apps. I kind of see it as an aggregator for other services.
[and about the money for laptops, as far as I understand it, the problem with distributing financial resources in the Palestinian Authority is corruption. Lots of money is given but not much is distributed. Off topic, I know]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!