Google Blogoscoped

Forum

"Allow Downloads From Google"?  (View post)

Pedro [PersonRank 0]

Sunday, April 15, 2007
17 years ago6,885 views

I guess it will add Google to the safe list of sites that can install extensions.

Calvin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

what happen to the "don't be evil" motto... then again it might be a typo error, i guess what they meant was download updates from google... possible...

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hmmm. Sounds like Evil to me.

E. Schmidt: "Evil is whatever Sergey says it is."

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It means what Pedro said (even though they use mozilla.org redirects now for their extensions).

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is the Firefox toolbar, yah? As Pedro said, I believe it just lets you install extensions without clicking on the "Allow from this site" dialog.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Sounds like Evil to me.

Well, but you still have to *want* to download their extensions, e.g. by clicking on them, right (it's not like anything quietly downloads in the background?). So if that's what this is, I'm not sure I see a problem...

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It means that you are giving them permission to "download" your entire hard drive to Google OS.

Maciek O. [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

No. It means that you don't must agreed that you want to download software twice.

ps. sorry for my english

rm6990 [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

No, it is not "evil" (seriously people, it's marketing speak anyways, get over it already, this "Google is teh EVIL!!!1111!!" crap is getting annoying). It means what it says (although it could be better worded). You're simply allowing extension installs from Google without a warning dialog. You still see the install process when one is installed, so you'll still know it's happening. It doesn't let Google "steal" your data or install secret software on your computer.

Calvin and Brinke, if this is your idea of evil, you really need to get out more and see some of the real evils in this world. Trust me, genocide, racism, sexism, war and many other things rank far higher on my "evil meter (TM)" than anything Google has done or likely will ever do.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

oh i was just kidding.

Razvan Antonescu [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

It's,perhaps, about automatic updates of the toolbar

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yeh I think it's for download updates too.
I can't see anything evil here..

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's not evil, thought it's bad labeling...

um [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I would guess based on no actual information that it works with the Google pack. It will let you update those items and other Google items. I would also guess Google is prepping some plugins. An Earth plug in being among the ones that seem likely as local gets closer to earth. Maybe some plugins for calendar that allow easy flow back and forth between it and other aps.

Michael Wheatland [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Google has some firefox extensions:
Google Notebook
Google Browser Sync
Google Accelerator

All this extension does is allow these to be downloaded without mucking around with the 'allowed sites' list.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The interesting part is I don't remember Google asking me to allow downloads from Google when I installed the Google Notebook extension. My allow sites to install add-ons list in Mozilla definitely does not show Google. I understand Google has some Mozilla developers on their payroll but isn't it a better idea for them to be listed in the Browser's Add on exception list?

Ben P. [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It just adds google.com to the firefox download whitelist on your machine.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google actually does a redirect through addons.mozilla.org when you download extensions from their sites (watch the status bar when you install an extension from Google). addons.mozilla.org is the only site included by default in Firefox's whitelist.

Nice [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

It means "allow downloading from Google and disallow downlaoding from enywhere else, including Microsoft".

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!