Google Blogoscoped

Forum

DoubleClick "Gaudy and Irrelevant"  (View post)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

Monday, April 16, 2007
17 years ago5,010 views

> “You will offer animated graphic ads to webmasters”

It still astounds me that Google won't give webmasters the chance to display graphical but unanimated ads. What possible advantage can they gain from this artificial hole in their produce lineup between unanimated text ads and annoying animated graphical ads?

piotr [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

It's funny that there are people who claim they know better than the entire intellectual backbone of a $150billion market cap company.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Piotr, there are webmasters from the UK who, during lunch time, find serious security holes on the websites of this billion dollar company and its entire intellectual backbone!

As to Roger's question, Google might think that by offering the option to turn off animations, they're depriving themselves from extra revenue (you know, blinking ads attract more attention, hence can bring more revenue). Maybe they think that some webmasters who aren't really concerned about animations would start to be concerned when they are offered a selection to pick one. But I also wish I could turn off animations, but go for image ads. Ionut's Google Operating System has some interesting aggressively blinking red-bordered ads lately, which tell me stuff like "Congrats, you're the 1 millionth visitor and might have won a car". Poor Ionut, I bet he hates those too...

http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-os-blinking-ads.jpg

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They should let you choose any combination of:

- PayPerClick
* text
* animated image / Flash
* video

- PayPerView

I always disable animated GIFs and I'm also not in Germany, so I don't see that ad.

Heebie Sudoku [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

Can someone just explain to me what the whole obsession with horoscopes is?

17 years ago #

Heebie, Google in their philosophy list once wrote, "Google does not do horoscopes, financial advice or chat."
http://www.google.com/corporate/tenthings.html
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2006-06-15-n86.html

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

How can you be visitor 999.999? that makes no sense! .999 of a visitor. Its not mathematically possible

17 years ago #

James, in Germany (all of Europe? dunno) for numbers we use the dot where the US (or rest of world?) uses the comma, and vice versa.

So in Germany: €1.000,10
In the US: €1,000.10

This discrepancy is often a problem when you want to just copy & paste numbers for certain uses.

17 years ago #

Oh. I knew most of europe used a comma instead of a decimal point but I didn't know the point was used instead of the comma for thousands and such,, i never really thought about it. It's better the european way if you ask me.

<<all of Europe? dunno>> In Ireland and the UK we do it the US way.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Being from the US, €1.000,10 would confuse me every time I saw a comma after a decimal.

AN [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

In Switzerland, they use ' to separate three-digit-groups.

17 years ago #

The diversity of Europe, what?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!