Google Blogoscoped

Forum

YouTube 'very close' to filtering system

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, April 17, 2007
17 years ago6,420 views

Google's CEO Eric Schmidt made comments to about 300 conference attendees of the National Association of Broadcasters conference that YouTube is very close to turning on their content filtering system. The system was supposed to launch in October of 2006 but it was delayed.

"The new system, which he called Claim Your Content, will automatically identify copyright material so that it can be removed, Schmidt said."

http://news.com.com/Schmidt+says+YouTube+very+close+to+filtering+system/2100-1026_3-6176601.html

I wonder how this will affect the outcome of the Viacom Lawsuit.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Claim Your Content"? Weird. Will it be so that you upload a video of yours and YouTube returns duplicates, which you can then flag as copyright infringers? Sounds unlikely, I guess, but it's also unlikely that Google can have magical algorithms which understand fair use, which know all existing video content of copyright holders, which know whether or not pemission was granted for the video use on YouTube, etc...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

PS: Nice quote from Eric:

"Ah Viacom ... You're either doing business with them or being sued by them...we chose the former, but ended up the latter."

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

YouTube 'very close' to filtering system... Just do it!

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I kind of wish they don't implement this system. Right now YouTube has a ton of cool videos that I don't want to see disappear. There really should be a video archive of some sort that allows people to watch old videos from the 80's or 90's.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!