Google Blogoscoped

Forum

4 New ways to request removal from the Google Index

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, April 18, 2007
17 years ago4,469 views

Vanessa Fox posted to the Official Google Webmaster Central Blog about 4 new ways to request removal from Google's Index. The new options can be found by clicking on the 'URL Removals' link in the Webmaster Tools menu on the left hand side of the screen. After you click that link, you will have to click on a button labeled 'New Removal Request' to get to the different removal options.

You can remove:
* Individual URLs
* A Directory
* Entire site
* Cached copy of a Google Search Result

I don't have a site that I want to test these new features with. Maybe someone else will let us know. ;)

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2007/04/requesting-removal-of-content-from-our.html

17 years ago #

If a user were to submit a page from someone else's site for removal, would Google notify the owner? That part is a little scary. I can understand the removal because of very private information like social security number or something of that nature.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Well I sure hope the owner gets their word too – innocent until proven guilty! After all, if there's an abuser who sees e.g. a forum thread they don't like to have in Google, they could add a comment to the thread posing as someone else and posting a fake "signature image", and then complaining with Google's form about it...

alek [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

A really nice addition would be if on the problem/404 pages, they showed the referring URL, especially if an internal link. This way, I could fix typo's on my site. I could also redirect external links as appropriate.

17 years ago #

Alek, Couldn't you do a search on your actual 404 link in Google to see what sites pop up. I agree it would be nicer to have that information already in the Webmaster Tools section. But at least you could still find it.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Alek, Couldn't you do a search on your
> actual 404 link in Google to see what sites pop up.

I don't think so. I mean – Google search within your site's content, including link's labels, but NOT their's "href" parameters. So as long as you don't put addresses also in link's label Google won't present your site when someone is looking for this address... Right?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!