Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Calendar and Corporate Data  (View post)

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, April 18, 2007
17 years ago3,869 views

Wow... the people whose data were leaked must be really mad. But they should know something, always make sure you don't leave the window open even if you close the doors.

Veky [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't believe it's a case of hitting _yourself_ on the head... except if you consider allowing Google Calendar in the corporate firewall as buying a hammer. :-) Rather, the employees are hitting their employers on the head, using the hammer Google provided. Of course, that is also not the reason to blame Google, but makes more sense of that product manager's comment – I suppose he wanted to say that corporations are/will be able to forbid placing events on corporate calendars as public, so these things will be much less likely to happen.

Astinus [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

The Google Apps version of Calendar allows an administrator to "lock" accounts in his domain so that the users CAN'T make their events public.

Sigh... "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink...." [actually, I suppose you can make it drink, but that will probably piss off the horse]

Adam Lasnik [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Just checked this out myself.

I opened up my Google Calendar, clicked on the Settings link for my calendar, and then changed the privacy setting to public.

I got this very prominent pop-up warning:

---
Are you sure you want to share this calendar with everyone?
Public calendars appear in Google Calendar searches.
YES | NO
---

I clicked yes.

Then I clicked on SAVE to save my settings, and Calendar warned me again:

---
Making your calendar public will make all events visible to the world, including via Google search. Are you sure?

YES | NO
---

So I think the Calendar folks have been pretty responsible in making sure users understand the consequences of changing the default and making their calendar public.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!