Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Froogle -> Google Product Search

pri [PersonRank 5]

Thursday, April 19, 2007
17 years ago12,656 views

Acknowledging that it's better to be clear than clever, Google is rebranding "Froogle" as "Google Product Search" and simplifying the interface to match the main search site, a top executive said on Wednesday.

read more here: http://news.com.com/2100-1038_3-6177393.html

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I guess that makes sense, but Froogle was an awesome name.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yay! Looks a lot clearer for new users. * warm feeling*

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google just announced this in their blog at 9pm.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/back-to-basics.html

http://lh4.google.com/image/SeminoleFiji/Ricrn18BYyI/AAAAAAAAAFI/_ki6v2nE-mc/googleproducts.jpg

Jack [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]phillipp: they are never gonna rename Google Earth to google Maps desktop... are they microsoft?

Zoran [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

You made Vanessa fox think I am sure!

Google Base is definitely misinterpreted, as far as I see that service is replacement for eBay/Craigslists and that is one of the biggest projects over there.

Naming is very important thing and Froogle sucked big time, the only real brand name is Google and it is better to stick with it then try to build another. (YouTUBE is brand they bought and that does not count anyway)

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

I can't wait Picasa Web Albums and Google Docs&Spreadsheets to change their names to Photos and Office/Suite etc. respectively.

It's so annoying trying to tell anyone about them, the name is instantly forgettable! I suppose the Docs change will come in the summer along with Presently or Google Presentations or whatever it's called!

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Just thinking: what they don't want is a big backlash against Google, like Microsoft experienced, when all their products have Google in their name. I doubt that YouTube would be affected by this, or Blogger for that matter but the rest of the products may lose all their customer base once/if Google is viewed to be 'evil'.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This is official. Google Personalized Homepage's new name is iGoogle (it's also the reason behind the URL).

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It seems like a complete overhaul of all their properties is part of a Branding strategy.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think:
1.Google local, maps, earth, YouTube and all google product will be the "Google life", including real business and real life. Also give people classic UI.
2.Blogger and Groups will be one, and join to Gmail. The blogger and Groups just have only one season exist. Just become the custom.
3.And have many detailes you can dream.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think the next service that Google will decide to change it's name will be Picasa.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I never understood the naming of Frugal. It sure didn't make me think of shopping. It always made think I shouldn't be spending money, being frugal and all. I'm not sure Product Search is much better. Why not Google Shopping or something like that?

I don't see any need to change the name of Google Earth. It's pretty self-explanatory already.

Google Sketchup already has a nice ring to it. It could be changed to Google 3D Sketchup if you want it more descriptive.

TonyB

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

New name but it still sucks. If you look for a notebook and choose the option sort by price you won't get many computers:
http://www.google.com/products?q=notebook&btnG=Search+Products&scoring=p

Any other price comparison service can better categorize products.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Tadeusz: I agree that Froogle sucks, but that's not shown by your example. All you need to do is change the searcher order to "search by price from high to low" and you get what you ask for.

There's enormous potential for a good shopping site. All it needs is:

- Good product descriptions, photos, specifications, reviews etc,
- Pricing and availability information in a standard format including delivery charges.

Then, "Froogle" (frugal) makes sense. It means searching for the cheapest way to get what you want.

Why is a good shopping site so rare? Because every supplier has different systems, and it's hard to automate. Some degree of manual work is needed to assemble good information. Manual work is also needed to keep spammers and scamsters at bay.

But, unlike many other aspects of the web, there's plenty of money in shopping, so there should be a way to fund a decent site.

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/222/465176069_2ac0c09f00_o.jpg
(on the english version the same)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/213/465176077_2f07344dfe_o.jpg
(nothing)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/211/465176071_2ef6919229_o.jpg
(should be "Produkte")

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Anyway. Google also a strange word. Froogle can be a good brand.

Chinmay [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

But Froogle had a nice catchy rhythym to it that made users remember the offering from Google. "Product Search" seems a bit more serious – but then if it google is serious abt making "Google Checkout" work soon – this is perhaps a good move. But as always – Google would never ceaze to amaze us all

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google has already hinted at changing Picasa to Google Photos (having said that, Google Pack screensaver was renamed to Google Photos Screensaver)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I never liked froogal because you dont change Google. Google is Google and everything else is a division of Google. Frugal was never on par with Google. Google is Google, Froogle is Google Product search. Much better and more integrate IMO.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

On Google/ig the drop down menu still says Froogle and redirects to froogle.google.com. I would say I'll still call it Froogle because I know what I'm talking about but I also said that for Longhorn -> Vista and Revolution -> Wii

I think Google Earth should stick with it's name rather than change to Maps Desktop, partly because it's a weird name and partly because it's not 2D like it's online counterpart.

[put at-character here]Hong
Google was just a misspelling of Googol though :-)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What are they doing with Froogle Mobile?

It's still available from here (in Google Labs)...

http://labs.google.com/frooglewml.html

Do you think it will soon come out of beta and be integrated into the Mobile Search features?

Carmelo Lisciotto [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I think the plan is to integrate with Mobile features in the next quarter

Carmelo Lisciotto

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< I think the plan is to integrate with Mobile features in the next quarter
   >>

Where did you hear that, if you don't mind me asking?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I like Froogle better.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't think it's so much about making it simpler for the user just yet. I think it has more to do with search services like Blog Search, News and Product Search becoming mere *features* of Web Search, rather than fully-blown solo apps.

j2 [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Froogle was a better name.

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Mrrix32 – my More link in Personalized Homepage has the new Products link and it redirects to the following URL:
google.com/prdhp?tab=wf&q=

Froogle.google.com redirects to this URL though:
google.com/products

Looks like Google should buy a couple more domains:
www.googleproducts.com
www.googleproductsearch.com

Actually, www.googleproductsearch.com – Is a parked Domain. Wonder if Google will request they transfer over the domain. It was just purchased on 4/18/07 by someone in New York.

17 years ago #

Google should create a new redirect also for 'product.google.com' and 'products.google.com' to point to the new version. The old link 'froogle.google.com' redirects to the correct page.

Andy [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

The link to Picasa in Gmail is "Photos"...

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What's the (real) difference between Google Product Search and Google Base?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Google has already hinted at changing Picasa to Google Photos

Martin, got a link?

17 years ago #

> What's the (real) difference between Google
> Product Search and Google Base?

One difference is that Froogle (Product Search) had a more complicated sign-up process for you to upload your data. I tried to sign up with them just for fun and provided Authorama.com as my "products", but they rejected me. Google Base on the other hand accepts whatever sample data I give them!

Is there any Google Base guru around, by the way? I have a question...

17 years ago #

Froogle data is actually in Google Base now.

At the bottom of a Froogle Search Results page (Google Product Search), there is the following text:
"Google does not charge for inclusion in its search results or accept payment for better placement. To list your items in Google Product Search, upload your product catalog."

The text "upload your product catalog" is a link to Google base.
http://www.google.com/base/help/sellongoogle.html

Philipp what is your Google Base Question?

17 years ago #

I'll send you an email Colin, thanks!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You forgot some name changes:
Writely > Google Docs > Google Docs & Spreadsheets (& Presentations)
Google Sitemaps > Google Webmaster Central

Surly Teabag [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Google => Google Web Search

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Still referred to Froogle in some parts of Google

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6924/untitledcj4.png

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Woah, Can some one with the right privileges resize that image?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!