Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Googler on Flash vs SVG+VML  (View post)

Martin [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, April 26, 2007
17 years ago4,670 views

Wow, Flash 9 will make my browsers slower to respond (and outright slugish with more than one Flash object) and it will also make my computer's fan turn up from whisper to blow dryer. I do not even like to imagine how bad prior versions of Flash were when Flash 9 is claimed to be so much better.

So I turned the plugin off in my main browser and use a secondary browser for youtube and Co.

Mac Mini G4 1.25GHz, Opera 9 and Firefox 2

Oliver Herold [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Somewhat of a joke, eh? Disabling Flash makes every browser very stable and fast.

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have a Inter Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, Graphics ATI X550. Flash Player (the latest one) works too smooth for me.

But I think Google could make their own Vector Graphics software to stop depending on Flash/SVG/VML...

Dominik Schmid [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I've recently developed a chart tool in flash which was pretty much the same like the one on google finance and for performance reasons alone I'm sure this would have never been possible with any SVG AJAX approach. Javascript may be fast enough for some small web20-i-want-to-be-flash-features but it's still way too slow for tools which require much work to be done on the client side.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

actaully, recently at a barcamp and we had this same discussion

FLASH vs SVG/VML
In fact a lot of dev of RIA's, prefer Flash rather then JS .

It seems that load on CPU is less when flash is used, Browser testing is not required. There are things that can be done in flash that can't be done in JS.

I think it depends on what type of app, one is developing..

Ricardo Sanchez [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Where exactly can Flash be found on http://finance.google.com/finance ? I don't see any flash elements apart from the video at the bottom.

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ricardo: click on any index, like Dow, or type GOOG in the search bar.

Ricardo Sanchez [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Ah I see, thanks.

Dennis [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Another reason to avoid SVG is that Adobe is dropping support of its SVG plug-in for Internet Explorer (IE) on January 1, 2008. See

http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/

Of course there are other IE SVG plug-ins, but can you name them off the top of your head?

Mike Nowak [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

One thing to consider about Flash is that the ActionScript engine is really fast and has been released to Mozilla for future ECMAScript virtual machines.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tamarin/

ActionScript 3.0 is quite nice and standard, and with Flash's vm powering future versions of Mozilla, it's quite futureproof. What you learn and do there you can easily transfer over to any ECMAScript 4 project down the road.

There's a lot that Flash is doing well, it's not just YouTube and overly animated brand sites.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!