Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Can you search for the "@" character?

Curtis Blaine [PersonRank 0]

Saturday, April 28, 2007
17 years ago3,062 views

Sometimes I would like to find Web pages containing certain text and an e-mail address as well. Since e-mail addresses always contain the "[put at-character here]" character, I figured that all I had to do in order to find pages on the espn.com Web site that contain the word "volleyball" and also contain an e-mail address was to search as follows:

site:espn.com volleyball "[put at-character here]"

But that doesn't work. The "[put at-character here]" character seems to be ignored by the search.

Does anyone know if there is a way to search for pages that contain the character "[put at-character here]"?

Thanks!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I believe Google web search ignores your character, only Google Code search includes it (but it doesn't find regular websites).
http://www.google.com/codesearch

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google will ignore the @ symbol if you don't specify an exact email address. But if you do put an exact email address into your query, it seems to find that just fine. I think this is a good behavior so that people aren't creating email harvesting apps and letting Google do the hard work.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

My years ago, google not have 1000 results limited and can use @ as keyword, I use google to find emails.
For example, @+fashion+inc,ect

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Google will ignore the @ symbol if you don't
> specify an exact email address.
> But if you do put an exact email
> address into your query, it seems to find that just fine.

Google doesn't care which special char you provided. "[put at-character here]" works just the same as "." or "/". So when you search for "larry[put at-character here]gmail.com" Google will find pages that contains ex.:

lary[put at-character here]gmail.com
lary.gmail.com
lary.gmail[put at-character here]com
lary/gmail[put at-character here].com
lary/gmail;com

and so on.

You can see this behavior for yourself by searching for domain with "[put at-character here]" instead of ".", for example "gmail[put at-character here]com". It finds pages with "gmail.com" just fine. In fact results for "gmail[put at-character here]com" and "gmail.com" are EXACTLY the same.

> Sometimes I would like to find Web
> pages containing certain text and an
> e-mail address as well.

Google doesn't want to help people find pages with e-mail addresses. Spamers would love that.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Try searching for:
"at gmail.com" OR "at gmail dot com" OR...
(you could use gmail.com, yahoo.com, hotmail.com and other popular domains).

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Google doesn't want to help people find pages with e-mail addresses.

In other words: "Due to local laws and customs, some search results are not displayed".

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!