Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Notes from Vista

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, April 28, 2007
17 years ago3,002 views

Vista seems to be more complicated to use than XP: you have more options, the menus are hidden, you have all kinds of security warnings etc.

On the other hand, IE7 runs much better in Vista than in XP. The only search engine available is Windows Live and many people will stick with that. But Google was very smart: when you try to install Flash Player, you also get Google Toolbar (opt-out) and Flash is not installed in Vista, apparently.

17 years ago #

I use Windows Live search for now.

Check the top result for "Digg":
http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=digg

#1 is the Wikipedia article about Digg :)

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The UAC is sometimes crazy.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Why dont you download firefox or Gooogle toooolbar.

17 years ago #

I'm testing the defaults. I must say that Microsoft did a very nice job with the desktop search. It's much easier to do anything: launch apps, perform tasks in Control Panel, select files.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I have vista since 2 weeks at work. It's great because it rarely crash, but the most annoying is the alert box "Are you sure ? Do you really want to do that?" even if you want to run Paint or do a simple drag & drop. RRRrr

pri [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

this is copy from a previous post (http://blogoscoped.com/forum/94151.html#id94157)

i've been using vista and i haven't found a reason to use Google Desktop anymore. vista search feature is comparable to GDS and the sidebar is the same to google's. the only difference is the content available right now from microsoft's gadgets. I haven't been a big sidebar user but now that MS included it and its there, i've added some basic gadets that i glance at.

So, it begs the question, why use GDS on Vista? Is there an advantage to using it?

17 years ago #

Let's see:

* advanced search operators
* search web history
* search Gmail
* search across computers
* news personalization
* more / better gadgets
* some gadgets save data to Google servers
* integrated with Google search (so you don't have to search your desktop separately)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!