Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New features of Calendar

Sander [PersonRank 4]

Wednesday, May 2, 2007
17 years ago4,807 views

You can now add more than one reminder to each event and specify per event what kind of reminder (sms, email, popup). Even better, you can now add reminders to non-primary calendars. Also the actual calendar area seems somewhat bigger.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i have never ever got a pop-up, even tho it's enabled.
and..
i get reminders for things i enter via email..but not for things like, say, sporting events. tonights giants game, for example. is that the way its supposed to work?

Sander [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

I think that, in order to get a pop-up, you have to have the calendar website opened up. I don't understand your second point; are those sporting events on your primary calendar or on a shared one? If the later is the case, it was not possible until now to get notifications for those events. To get notifications, go to the event details and add a reminder (in the expandable options section at the right side.)

4563214 [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Are you sure this feature is rolled out for everyone? I don't have this feature. I am in Germany but with english Calendar and Firefox 2.0.0.3.

4563214 [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

A screenshot would be very nice!

Sander [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

I've no idea if this has been rolled out for everyone, I just know it has for me:

http://picasaweb.google.com/spkersten/G/photo?authkey=ShM3ZcrEHiU#5060054050556450018

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't have this for the moment :-/

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I added an event to my calendar and cant find this feature. (yet!!)

Sander, but the screen shoot seems valid and and what does "notifications for secondary calendar" mean /do

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think that, in order to get a pop-up, you have to have the calendar website opened up. I don't understand your second point; are those sporting events on your primary calendar or on a shared one? If the later is the case, it was not possible until now to get notifications for those events. To get notifications, go to the event details and add a reminder (in the expandable options section at the right side.)

The sporting events are on my calender, non-shared, the only one I have.
Where are event details located? I can't seem to locate where you mean, DOH.

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I am still stuck on notifications for primary calendar only. Sigh...why are things always rolled out to me last. Also, isn't it about time they throw in a todo list?! Strikes me as mind boggling that they could invest so much in a calendar system and completely ignore such an important feature.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

You've always being able to change the calendar for a certain event however i'm unable to replicate the multiple reminders feature.

4563214 [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Now (06:47 am in Germany) i have this new feature too. But i can't select the SMS option. But SMS services isn't rolled out in Germany i think.

Nice thing!

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Whilst the functionality is good, I now can't find anywhere to set reminder defaults like there used to be, so I have to click "remove" three times to get rid of the reminders.

I also just created an event and had to wait a while before I could edit it again because it was apparently "still saving changes" and therefore hid the edit link...

Sander [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Tony: The default settings for reminders are located in the settings page of each calendar.

Dave B [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Yes Tony,

Click the the arrow by each calendar over on the left side and click on notifications, and you can set the defaults for that calendar.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Argh... they moved it! It used to be just under Settings and then Notifications. What's more, I just started to hunt for it where Sander and Dave B suggested and *then* realised I don't have this new notification feature any more.

I wonder if this is activated on a computer-level rather than on an account-level. Either that or they've taken it away from me.

Sander [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Strange: it seems I've also lost these new features. I'm using the same pc and same browser.

Dave B [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

I've lost the new features as well. Had them this morning.

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Looks like they're having problems at the moment and pulled the new features for the time being until they can be resolved:

http://groups.google.com/group/google-calendar-help-updates/browse_frm/thread/d62beac997b84568

As per this post there's more features not mentioned here already:

http://groups.google.com/group/google-calendar-help-updates/browse_frm/thread/a06cd31f6fa6e49a/#

-Secondary calendar reminders
-Expanded printing options
-"Send to a friend" feature

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Check your Calendars... the new features are back! Hopefully for good.

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Good catch!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!