Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Yahoo! releases web based Messenger

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, May 3, 2007
17 years ago3,668 views

It seems Yahoo! has joined the web based IM party today by releasing a web-based version of their popular Yahoo! Messenger. It actually works in all of the popular browsers, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari.

http://webmessenger.yahoo.com/

So it seems that Google, Yahoo and Microsoft have entered into the web based messenger arena. Will this hurt sites like Meebo?

Adam Dempsey [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

I don't think this will effect sites such as meebo as one of the popular features for me is that I can signin to a Yahoo and AIM account at the same time for example, without having to goto two web messenger sites

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Anyone with a Yahoo account who wants to chat with me?
Please email me your contact info at info[put at-character here]outer-court.com :)

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What a waste of time. I login and all I get is a splash screen with the message on the right hand side:

<< Coming soon! Yahoo! Messenger for the Web is not yet available for your country. >>

What difference does it make to them which country I'm in?

JennyPenny [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

If you change the "Preferred Content" to "Yahoo! U.S.", you can try the Yahoo! web messenger. (You can do this by logging into account.yahoo.com.) It's nicely designed and easy to use. It's much nicer than MSN web messenger (webmsn.com).

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

MSN web messenger told me my browser (Firefox 2) wasn't compatible and that my pop up blocker was going to cause a problem. That was two more reasons why I won't use it.

JennyPenny [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Yahoo! Web messenger is available in Canada now. =o) Don't have to change the account settings anymore.

I use FF2, but MSN web messenger is compatible. I have a pop up blocker too, but it doesn't cause any problems when I log in to use it. All my friends use Windows Live Messenger so I use the web messenger when I'm at school sometimes. None of my friends use Yahoo or Gtalk. =O(

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's nice to see an Adobe Flex application that doesn't use the same old boring components as normal; someone's actual taken the time to make their own.

Works well. Shame it won't accept your username, Philipp.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!