Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Alan Moore on Idea vs Plot  (View post)

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

Friday, May 4, 2007
17 years ago4,477 views

Plot is the idea that hurt others and prevent the plot creater's profit.
So, try to research many opened ideas that win, which ideas not hurt others?

What is Moral?

Ricardo Sanchez [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Very good insight by Mr Moore, indeed. Makes me want to buy 'Writing for Comics'.

What if you don't come up with good ideas?

I believe that you need a little effort to start thinking good ideas, for stories, scripts, a website, whatever.

You need to think about the fact of coming up with ideas, start exploring possibilities, and get in a proper state of mind. If you just tell to yourself: "I don't have imagination, I will never have any good idea", then you won't for sure. You have to, proactovely, start to think in positive.

Another good method may be discussions/brainstorms with other prospective "ideators".

Any other advices to get ideas for unimaginative people?

17 years ago #

By the way, don't you find Mr. Moore to be a little... scary? It seems that he shares Richard Stallman's hair stylist. ;)
http://tech.neveragain.de/mirrors/www.juriga.tv/elug/pix/rms-elug-014.jpg

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> Any other advices to get ideas for unimaginative people?

Alan Moore talks about this more in-depth on page 8+ of the essay... I think the book's worth it to buy. Ideas are drawn from life, so you need to live a life (not just read works of others), but also watch the life carefully.

I think one way to get ideas is to have a fool's vision and to then apply good reasoning afterwards. For instance, a kid might throw a ball down the street, which is a foolish thing to do (by measurements of the stereotypical "grown-up"). On the other hand, an adult might go to do the same work every day, which is a very reasonable thing to do (but boring, measured by the kid). Combine the two, and you might have something artistic, challenging, an interesting idea... you apply reason & hard work in perfecting something silly like throwing a ball down the street, and you end up with a touching video of thousands of balls bumping down the street. http://www.bravia-advert.com/balls/

Once more Dali: "My whole ambition in the pictorial domain is to materialize the images of my concrete irrationality with the most imperialist fury of precision..."
http://library.humboldt.edu/art/Artists/Dali_Salvador/Dali_Paranoid_Critical_Transformation.htm

17 years ago #

I already had seen the bravia ad, and thought it was excellent, very well shot. You made a good point with the example.

I think I will order the book on my next amazon purchase.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!