Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How Would You Design the Google Phone?

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

Saturday, May 5, 2007
17 years ago5,751 views

The rumors are well-known, but if you were in charge, what would the Google Phone be? What features/abilities? Why is it the right idea for Google?

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

First thing first: Free. :)-

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Free as in beer or speech?

I'd like both.

As in speech: open source & unlocked
As in beer: I'll take it for the cost of shipping & pay for extra batteries, etc.

John Honeck [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I did a post featuring Adam Lasnik modeling the New Google Phone.

http://www.jlh-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/bob_denver.png

http://www.jlh-design.com/2007/03/adam-lasnik-photo-hunt/

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

If you ask me,
The color would be black (and the Google logo would at the bottom of the phone). That would be cool. :P

As for features:
The same as the iPhone, only with Wi-Max.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I would design the Google Phone by making sure it has integrated Google search and Google Maps, then get Apple to manufacture it.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Heard that they used the paper prototyping method for the interface design and usability study phase. It will certainly have a lot desktop functionality getting ported into the device..

Color is a secondary thing. Its cosmetic by nature and demographics worldwide dictate what color is needed where.

Conor Cleary [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

Paper prototyping... is that the Sony E-Paper thing? that would be AWESOME. Cell phone in a wallet!! omgomg

anyways... I would have it do my homework.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I agree with David – an iPhone with Wi-Max would be great (or a Nokia N800 with an inbuilt phone)!

As for features: you speak the name of the person you want to talk to. There's no need to program numbers into the phone, because it has been "listening in" to all your conversations.

So, if you speak the words "Phone Linda" it knows who to call, because yesterday you received a call which you answered by saying "Hi Linda". You can even speak things like "Call the mechanic that I spoke to about the gearbox last week", because a Google phone hears and remembers everything. You don't even need to say "I'm Feeling Lucky".

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Interesting concept that, Roger. That could take off once they've got the computing power to do so. There's obviously the old "record a voice and say it back" to dial, but you still need to associate that with a number.

17 years ago #

<< You can even speak things like "Call the mechanic that I spoke to about the gearbox last week", because a Google phone hears and remembers everything. You don't even need to say "I'm Feeling Lucky". >>

This must be a very unique and smart system in that case..
otherwise, when your girl friend / wife / whatever will be asking you : " Did you ~call the mechanic~ hun'? " and you already did, i don't think calling him again will be such a good idea here..

plus, it will be needing mass of storage to keep all of that data.

Conor Cleary [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

unless it just recorded the first 5 seconds of each call...

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

David: the iPhone already detects face proximity, similarly the Google phone won't respond to your girlfriend/wife unless she's holding the phone up to her head.

17 years ago #

Oh..
Didn't think of that....
Thanks Roger ;)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!