Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Blog Search and Link Text  (View post)

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, May 9, 2007
17 years ago5,254 views

>Rather than being one of those annoying blogs that “borrows” RSS content in order to generate revenue, the owner of this blog states, “i am not scraping content for money reasons, just because i am lazy to visit the blogs every day.”

Sounds like someone needs to learn about feed readers. It is pretty wild that improper attribution can mess with blog search results like that.

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

So now I can see more people taking seriously that nofollow has nothing to do with value or not.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The comment about him not making money is true because there aren't any ads on the site. I wish the guy would update his code though. He is creating irrelevant results for people's names.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

As my test, nofollow in blogsearch works now, as month ago not work.

GT Staff [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

"Does PageRank count when it comes to blogs and feeds?" -yeah, i was wondering about that, too. Does Google's Blogsearch show results based on PageRank? are the results they display, when they said that these are sorted based on the posts' relevance, what mode of measurement do they use? PageRank, keyword relevance, a balance of both? Maybe I should Google up these questions. :p

http://www.googletutor.com/2007/05/08/using-googles-blogsearch-portal-for-advertising/
http://www.googletutor.com/2007/05/02/how-the-google-pagerank-system-changed-my-life-part-1/
http://www.googletutor.com/2007/05/03/how-the-google-pagerank-system-changed-my-life-part-2/

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google tutor looks kinda good.

Michael Martinez [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

It's never actually been a BLOG search. Google "Blogsearch" is actually "Google RSS Feed Search". You'll find forum results mixed in with the blog and social media feeds as well.

It's always been this way. I would not expect them to change.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Michael, I'm aware of that and I've said a similar thing many times before. Technically, it's not just RSS feeds either so an even better name would be just "Google Feed Search".

Anyway, that's not the point I was trying to make. My point was that they're not just using the content of the feed to index it, they're also using link text from other sites' feeds or maybe websites.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear enough...

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think the post was clear about that, and it makes me wonder if the feeds get associated with the Pagerank from their originating site or not. This doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to test, though it would have to be tested by someone with a high and low pagerank website (to test post relevancy versus pagerank effects in Google blog search)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Excellent point Niraj!!

the problem with this type of test is that PR does not shift overnite. It grows gradually over time. With the spiral effect of bots, feed scraping and link farming etc, it will really be hard to see if content vs feed has impact on PR.

Maybe it would be better if Googleplex clarifies the issue properly.

17 years ago #

From what I've seen, Google tries to incorporate PageRank or some variation of it in every type of search.

Not that it really matters in most queries. Their relevance scoring is pretty sophisticated (although easy to manipulate nonetheless).

If links are going to influence Blogsearch, it won't be through PageRank but rather through anchor text – as in the general Web search.

Google just needs to stop allowing links to pass anchor text and a lot of problems will go away very quickly.

Heather Paquinas [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Michael, actually, they have been doing this for a while now*. I believe they look at the text within the same paragraph of a document on the linking page, as well as the pages that link to that linking page.

* Especially with their rumored latent semantic analysis update[s], which to me, after reading the wikipedia article on it, is basically "use more synonyms and fewer repetitions of keywords", which boils down to good writing.

Well, that's enough rambling about hearsay and speculation.

Devna Sood [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Does it really matters to rank your site on the basis of simple pagerank?
How much useful it is, atleast today when PR can't alone give any weightage to a web page?
Please suggest???

17 years ago #

Google has not implemented latent semantic analysis. If you want to see a search engine that claims to be using semantic methodologies, take a look at Hakia.

LSI itself is too cumbersome for even Google to implement.

And PageRank has nothing to do with text. It's only about calculating a probability based on linking relationships.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!