Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Layouts Timeline  (View post)

OREO [PersonRank 10]

Friday, May 11, 2007
17 years ago10,686 views

I prefere the CURRENT google layout. I don't think they should change it at all.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I like green bars. You should put instructions on how to get each layout under each one

Jordn [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I prefer the first May 2007 one featured in the article – it looks good without going over-the-top and it's the only one I've actually 'experienced' (three times in the past week).

jilm [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I prefer the first May 2007 too. I´m currently using the second one and it´s also better that "normal Google", if they disable the choice I will be very unhappy. Even cleaner, "context" links to other types of searches is clever idea and results more in the middle are better readable, scanning is quicker.

Leva [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

The exact form of the layout isn't that big of a deal. The big deal is the intelligence that goes into the query expansion and related query choices. It doesn't matter if the links are on top, left, right, etc. What matters is whether or not they are GOOD. Google needs to spend more time making the links GOOD, and less time worrying about whether the fontsize is 9.3 or 9.6.

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't like links on the left; I *do* like the context-sensitive other search options. And I think the gradient bar is pretty.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Provided they keep the layout "fluid" so that I can use it with any reasonably-sized browser window, I'm happy.

Personman [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

I don't mind the new layouts for the most part, but what is really driving me insane is the absence of the dictionary results in the upper right (or wherever). I used that a _lot_, and I don't want it to go away. Switching my firefox search bar between Google and Answers (or wherever) is horribly annoying.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here] James Xuan – I wanted to put the necessary javascript below each layout but only about 3 of those layouts are still testable. The other tests have been closed so you cannot see those layouts any more.

17 years ago #

You can Digg this article too.
http://digg.com/tech_news/Picture_of_the_Google_results_layout_over_time

17 years ago #

I think my favorite layout was the one from April 2007. It had multiple search options available depending on my query. Plus it had related searches available if I wanted to improve my query.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The one from April 2007 looks well for me. I don't want alternative search options at the left because I use to pick one of the first five items and leave google after that. It would be useful to have a sidebar with suggestions on case of mistyping, though.

oradzuza [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Personally, I like the current one. However doing a search just now, I now see another prototype! How ironic. The new one seems to have more "flow".
Anyway,
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/3025/newgoogleuh5.png

Joe [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

March 2006. The bars were cool and a bit helpful too. ;)

CigMas [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I think this time's layout is Microsoft-ish. The sidebar looks like an old Microsoft search categories list or so. The one with the bars look pretty cool though. Maybe they should put the bars under the sections on the top, or when the mouse is over.

Phil Defer [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

The current one is quite ok although they'll probably improve it again somehow. What I really don't like is the left sidebar: With a left sidebar with not-so-useful links, and a right sidebar with ads there's not much left for the actual search results. Maybe something that can expand/collapse at user's will would be interesting.

Chakravarthy [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

March 2006 layout (the second layout) is very good.
One thing, don't make the link more point to another link. Instead use AJAX so that more expands there itself.

The second layout gives the user more information to choose to another service based on the strength bar. You can even add blogs to the left hand menu (and strength bar to blogs tooo)

So User should be able to move to other services in single click (single click is the key).

students.iiit.ac.in/~chakravarthy/contact-me
[Unlinked signature link. Colin]

Wub-Fur [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It's be great if we could arrange "result widgets" to create our own custom personalized results page layouts,

trailhead [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Google needs to offer different layouts as options that you can set in preferences.

It needs, as well, to colate or categories the search results into say the first 25 major categories – especially helpful for topics that you are new to and know very little about.

Categorizing the results provides a quick sort of what might be thousands of results and allows you to hone in on the particular grouping that are of interest.

In the last while I have found myself opting for another search engine because of this lack.

I don't mind the different ways you can search, image, froogle etc... but categories are far more to the point and far more useful...

jimbo [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Why move the links to the other searches (images, news, etc.) to the upper left corner? It increases the distance you have to move your mouse after typing in a new search term for no good reason. Also, these links now require Javascript, which is also unnecessary. Perhaps the change has something to do with increasing the visibility of ads?

Also does anyone else find the new search results layout distracting? Seeing videos/news/image results in the middle of a group of text search results makes it harder to quickly scan through them.

All in all, an inexplicable bunch of changes that's making me consider reviewing the alternatives.

Sad Googler [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Can anyone point me to a copy of the previous Google homepage? The new layout with the primary navigation stuck high up in the left hand corner is unbearable. I'd like to use a local copy of the front page and I'd rather not learn HTML to make Google usable to me again. Anyone have a cached copy online somewhere that I can grab?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

http://72.14.207.107/

Happy Googler [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

You are awesome, thank you. My repetitive stress injured wrist thanks you too.

Except [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

The international Google page doesn't have the Javascript drop-down menu for the "More" link.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!