Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail: Per Email Address Per Signature

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 14, 2007
17 years ago11,791 views

Different email address in the one Gmail. Very good. Only a little discommodious.

Just did a small design details for Gmail.

1. Define the signature in the setting accounts dashboard.

http://hongxiaowan.googlepages.com/account-with-signature.png

2. So when you compose new email, you can select the account, the signature can change aotumatically and accordinary.

a. Original account

http://hongxiaowan.googlepages.com/account-with-signature-01.png

b. Select a email, for instance, Hong Xiaowan <webmaster[put at-character here]uniquemade.com>

http://hongxiaowan.googlepages.com/account-with-signature-02.png

c. Then the signature changed accordinary.

http://hongxiaowan.googlepages.com/account-with-signature-03.png http://cn.hongxiaowan.com/45.htm

17 years ago #

The images above are mockups. A tips for post the images in the Google Blogoscoped Forum:

Make the images width to be 400px, so the image will be clear in the forum.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

There's one problem: when you start writing the mail, you can alter the signature, or erase it. How will GMail detect that? It would be so much load for the script, and I don't want my firefox to be MORE slower than now.
An alternative is to select the signature you want from a combo box at the bottom, after the message box, but it's better to have a WYSIWYG editor...

Conor Cleary [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

awe thats not real? your a genious though!

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Zim

1.Do not need to select signature after you select the email address. Select the email address equal to select the signature.

2.Just save 20s time for you when you compose a new email, on the textarea, signature still can be edited easily, combo box hard to be edited.

I use multi email address in my gmail account, 6 total. Tired of editing signature. Sometimes use wrong signature.

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Conor Cleary

Thanks, I found another details about Gmail. Post later.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Follow this imaginary plot:
1. You select compose mail
2. Then, you start writing your mail
3. You remember you were writing from the wrong account, and you select the right one.
Your text is gone, because GMail replaced the textbox with the corresponding signature.
Maybe it's possible to do something about it using as reference the "--" before the signature? Just wondering

Conor Cleary [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

or a separete fold-out signature box instead... below the message body

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Just add two check boxes:

[X] Include signature for xxx[put at-character here]xxx.com [X] Include quoted text

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

and while doing that... add these check boxes too :)-

This email is: [ ] bloggable [ ] ask first [ ] private

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]zim

Google should give troubles to himself, not to users. Make it easy for users. JS can do this function.

Please see http://www.garmenture.com/guitar/, the script is JS from internet. It can add text at IFRAME and FRAME. Try to modify the code, that can add text at TEXTAREA.

It is not difficult.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I would like to have this (as option) automatically switch depending on which email this was sent to. For instance, the following addresses all forward to my same Gmail account:

info[put at-character here]outer-court.com -> philipp.lenssen[put at-character here]gmail.com
info[put at-character here]questml.com -> philipp.lenssen[put at-character here]gmail.com
info[put at-character here]sketchswap.com -> philipp.lenssen[put at-character here]gmail.com
and so on.

(Also, I would like to not only switch the reply-to address, but the actual from address.)

David T [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

This is actually the main reason I don't use Gmail but rather stay with Fastmail [fastmail.fm]... Allows much more customisation, own domain handling etc.

A C [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

"own domain handling" -> google apps for domains?

George R [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think that spamgourmet can be used to do what Philipp wants.
It is designed to let you reply, but hide your actual address.
It rewrites the addresses in the headers of inbound mail so that replies route back through their server. It would then also rewrite the headers of the reply mail.

Note that this is not the best way to use spamgourmet for spam control since different people are sending to the same address.

info[put at-character here]outer-court.com ->infooutercourt.philipp[put at-character here]spamgourmet.com-> philipp.lenssen[put at-character here]gmail.com
info[put at-character here]questml.com ->infoquestml.philipp[put at-character here]spamgourmet.com-> philipp.lenssen[put at-character here]gmail.com
info[put at-character here]sketchswap.com ->infosketchswap.philipp[put at-character here]spamgourmet.com ->philipp.lenssen[put at-character here]gmail.com
and so on.

This might expose the spamgourmet address in your replies.
If you do not want that to happen, you could download the spamgourmet code and run it on your own server.

alimeherban [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

infoquestml.com ->infoquestml.philippspamgourmet.com-> philipp.lenssengmail.com
infosketchswap.com ->infosketchswap.philippspamgourmet.com ->philipp.lenssengmail.com
and so on.

This might expose the spamgourmet address in your replies.
If you do not want that to happen, you could download the spamgourmet code and run it on your own server.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!