Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Pros and Cons of web-based mail

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, May 17, 2007
17 years ago3,101 views

(from NY Times)

Q. I have always used Web-based mail accounts that let me do everything online from anywhere. I know there are advantages with Outlook and other programs, but is it really worth the hassle of managing mail on the local machine?

A. Maximum mailbox size used to be a major factor when choosing between a Web-based mail service and a program that downloads your messages to your hard drive from your Internet provider’s servers. This is not as much of an issue now, with services like Gmail from Google, Yahoo Mail and Windows Live Hotmail now offering at least two gigabytes of mail storage.

Many Web mail services have added text-formatting options, spelling checkers, spam filters and easier ways to sort your messages, all things that have been features in stand-alone mail programs like Eudora and Outlook for years. Dedicated mail programs usually provide more robust versions of these features, however, and sending a file attachment can be as easy as dragging a file onto the message body instead of having to locate it on your computer and upload it to your mail account. And you do not have advertisements on your messages with a mail program.

Web-based mail does let you keep all your messages in one place instead of potentially having them spread out on multiple computers, but unless you have saved mail to your hard drive, you have to be online to get to it. Many Web mail providers now let you have it both ways by letting you download copies of your messages with a stand-alone mail program.

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

Actually many ISP do add a small text line with pub on the bottom of the sent email even when you send the email from a PC client

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

And there's a Firefox extension that enables drag-and-drop uploads. Just search for it at Mozilla's Firefox Addons.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

really. i could use that, you mean drag and drop attachments, like photos?
what's it called?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!