Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Friday Rumor: Google + FeedBurner?  (View post)

TK [PersonRank 1]

Friday, May 18, 2007
17 years ago6,683 views

Wow, that's a major rumor to think about.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Seriously now..
Everyone talked about Microsoft, that they're buying companies in order to eliminate competition.
That was really bad branding.

You think it's healthy for Google? (even though, at some point, it's not really to eliminate competition)

(Put some thought into it by reading this thread : http://blogoscoped.com/forum/91656.html)

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Well, a commonly mentioned difference is that Google's acquisitions are usually relatively small companies, that Google integrates quickly. Maybe it's also something special about Google's corporate environment, as well.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think FeedBurner could be a healthy acquisition, particularly for the "bargain" price of $100 million! I think it would be a better thing to integrate with Blogger (or even Webmaster Tools) though.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think it is not Rumor.
Feed service have the possiblity to eat more and more web market share.

To prevent risk in the future, the best way to buy it. Just like Google did with Blogger, YouTube, ect.

Jason Schramm [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

I really hope this isn't true. I don't want Google messing up Feedburner like they mess up most of their acquisitions.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It would be a nice merge. I don't think they want to buy companies to eliminate competition. Instead, I believe they want to give users a comprehensive service...

Ashish Mohta [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It will be of no use if they are buying for advertisement. People signup for feed so its nto filled with ads. I dont see any point putting adsense ad on feed. Adsnese ad are mostly clicked by users coming from SE. I dont think u want people who subscribe to your add click.

MJ Rich [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Speaking of Yahoo, do they have a dedicated blog like this?

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ashish Mohta: Actually, there are some feeds who include ads from their owners. The idea of feeds is to get updates in an easier way... But you may enter the related page (to comment or read more information).

jigar shah [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Thts really a great news. If google does not make it a dad cat. Most of the acquisitions have taken years to get integrated into Google. Like JotSpot and many others. I am sure it wont because this is where they will earn. JotSpot was like value added service to Docs and Spreadsheet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Google_acquisitions

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That's why I'd never wanna outsource an RSS feed... too much risk of what happens after take-over (though I don't think there's a particularly big risk when Google takes over, unless you mind AdSense... in fact, AdSense would be a neat addition for many webmaster, I guess).

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< unless you mind AdSense >>

Google would never add AdSense to your feed forcefully. Look at Blogger.

60 in 3 [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

It would be a very cool purchase for them. Feedburner gets content to people who don't want to go straight to the source. The source is where Google places its ads, so this is a great way for them to go after people who wouldn't otherwise see their ads. As a user of both Feedburner and various Google apps, I'm excited to hear this.

GJ
60 in 3

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Looks like it's definitely going to happen...

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/05/23/100-million-payday-for-feedburner-this-deal-is-confirmed/

Via: http://www.techmeme.com/070523/p74#a070523p74

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think it was mentioned before somewhere....between Google Reader and FeedBurner, Google will have a ton of RSS usage statistics!

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That's a good point, Niraj. As a consumer, we can hopefully look forward to maybe the new social-based Google News that Philipp mentioned he saw on some papers a while ago. With RSS, they have all the popularity date they need.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's now on Slashdot too:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/23/1940258

17 years ago #

Google is keeping their lips shut (handing out the standard "we do not comment on market rumor or speculation").

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Nothing else from Google on this then?

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's official!
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/adding-more-flare.html

17 years ago #

<< As you know, we're constantly looking for ways to identify and offer new tools for content creators and website publishers. Likewise, we constantly aim to give AdWords advertisers broader distribution to an even wider audience of users. For these reasons, we're very pleased to tell you that we've just acquired FeedBurner. >>

So:

tools for content creators
+
broader distribution for AdWords advertisers

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

lol @ http://www.feedburner.com/google

Google are acquiring so many companies these days they have a standard format for the acquisition FAQs etc.

johntie [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

They did it, Google acquired Feedburner. Now it's getting interesting out there in the online ads market, with microsoft latest acquisition and the GoogleFeedClick

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sam > LOL! :) They just have to change the name of the company ;-)
I remember that Ionut alread had make that joke [which is real in fact] about the template of announcements of acquisitions on GoogleBlog :-)

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Very soon you'll see "Did you mean:" in feedburner blog & the unreachable feed urls

BTW its a good idea to verify feed url you are trying & if it is not correct have a "Did you mean:" shown there ;)

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

For the Log in page:

<<Service of FeedBurner publisher accounts will not be interrupted as a result of the acquisition by Google. You will have a 14-day interim period ending June 15, 2007 to opt-out of allowing Google to service your account. If you take no action by June 15, 2007, the rights to your data will transfer from FeedBurner to Google.>>

Does that mean we only have to wait two weeks before any changes? or is that just when Google gets control?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'd say its just when Google gets more of your data. There not interested in consumers or money at all. They are just buying companies so the can have to feed to the data monster in their basement, honestly, I've been behind the scenes at the Googleplex.

17 years ago #

So what's next? SimplyHired.com?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

they have activities in blog search (Google Blog Search), blogs (blogger), blog feeds (feedburner), feed reader (google reader). They have all, no? :-)

17 years ago #

They don't have a cool blog editor (something like Windows Live Writer), no spam filter for Blogger comments, no community around blogging, no social way of consuming feeds, no easy way to upload a lot of photos in Blogger, no way to upload videos/files, no analytics tool for blogging (where is Measure Map?), no way to easily post to blogs on your mobile phone, no way to track your activity in the blogosphere, no blog recommendations etc.

17 years ago #

Why do you still use Blogspot Ionut? You seem to be annoyed at their features/ lack of features...

17 years ago #

I'll stop using it. And blogging too...

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"no spam filter for Blogger comments" > don't you use the CAPTCHA system?
"no way to upload videos/files" > you can do it if you publish on a non-blogspot domain blog (Zorgloob is powered by Blogger, in my Blogger interface I have an icon to send any file I want)

Except the "no way to easily post to blogs on your mobile phone" that is true, they are able to do the rest without buying other companies...

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hey don't stop blogging, all your post are interresting and often top-ranked on Digg, you have a "niche" Ionut ;-)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!